Rancid Soap????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agail06

Reaction score
Ok I posted something the other day on here about my soap going rancid. I said that I would post the recipe to see if it is ok, sorry I am just getting around to it. This is the recipe that I used.

750 grams co
700 g oo
900 g shortening
342 lye
650 water

Please tell me what ya'll think!!

Please if someone has any suggestions on simple recipes that I can kinda play with the FO and color, I would really appreciate you sharing them! And if there is a thing, ones with the least chances of going rancid. And another thing I was wondering is it normal for a soap to smell still a little "raw" on the inside when it smells good on the outside? I am not talking about the ones that with rancid, but some other ones that I made earlier. Thanks in advance for the help!

First question: how old are the oils you used? I need to get my butt in gear and make dinner, but that's the first thing to find out I think.

I didn't see your other post, so I can't help there.

Why don't you just use a simple olive oil recipe t o play with? Use the soapcalc to get your water and lye amounts.

The oils were brand new. I just opened all of them. I don't think that I am storing them right, I don't think I have enough circulation where I have them. I just didn't know if that was the only problem, or is there more too it. I have been using this recipe for a while, but I have not ever made more than I have the room to store in a good area. I have always made some let it sit for about 6 weeks and then used it and when I got low did it again. My family keeps asking for some of the soap to have and I can not keep up with everyone that is asking for it, so I was trying to make a bigger batch. I want to get it right on the storage and the recipes that hold up well, cuz on day down the road I would love to sell it, when I am ready of course. But I would love to have more to give away, cuz who better guinea pigs than family, right? But I am not even going to give them ones that stink! Oh and for the olive oil suggestion, I really love the effects of coconut oil, I just don't know why my recipe is not having a good shelve life.

Do you know exactly what's in your shortening? It seems the most mysterious thing here. It may be a mix of oils and so your SAP was inaccurate, leading to a high superfat, or perhaps it's made with something that spoils quickly. What brand? What oils are in it at what percentages? IF you can't find this out, then don't use it. Switch to lard or something else you have access to.

Shortening is generally soy or mostly soy and thus you should probably keep it the amount below 15%.

All those oils are fine sitting on a shelf for some time, if you just opened them, as long as their use by dates having expired, they wouldn't/shouldn't cause bad soap. What brand of shortening do you have? The few batches I've made with shortening (been about 5 weeks) don't smell, so I wonder if the oils used in that were old.

Why not just use OO and CO (70/30%), and maybe get some lard and use that (33/33/34% each)?

newbie said:
Do you know exactly what's in your shortening? It seems the most mysterious thing here...

I was wondering the same thing. This isn't that mystery stuff that's an unspecified blend of animal fats is it? That could explain the weird smell.

Soapcalc has 2 types od Crisco. I use the "old" one for any cheap vegetable shortening I buy that is made from soybean and/or cottonseed oils.

I generally stay away from shortening. Like Carebear said, I think you have too much.

Back