recipe question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

see

Reaction score
Ive been tweaking my original recipe and its driving me ocd crazy .

My basic original recipe was 10% discount

oo 41%
co31%
po 27%

I gave some of these away and got back that they felt a little dry on the face. (take in mind that winter came as soon as i gave them away)

so i added to that recipe 4% castor oil or shea(1 nots both and replacing oo for that amount). Made several batches 6%-9%discount. Some on this site said that i probably would not be able to tell a difference w/ such little shea/castor. Ive tried some and really cant tell a difference w/ the dryness vs the above but could see a difference in bubbles.

I made a batch w/ 3% shea and 5%castor, and i really cant tell a difference in this bar either. Keep in mind that my skin is fine w/ just the plain above recipe.

so here is what im thinking about going w/. any advice would be appreciated. :) i want the future batches to be able to be used in bartering for goods/services, so i want to make sure that im giving a great product.

i dropped the co down b/c ive seen some people dont like to used over 20% b/c drying.

this is the first time ive used soapcalc so i am a little unsure on the numbers.
hardness 39
cleansing 14
condition 57
bubble 19
creamy 31
iodine 59
ins 146

do i need more cleansing?? maybe put the co back up? Bubbles ok? Should i drop the shea a couple pt and up the castor?

oo 39%
po 26%
co 20%
castor 6%
shea 9%

Got a better recipe or just comments on any of this?

Thanks everyone for answering all my questions. I appreciate all the help. :)

peace

no - you don't need more cleansing. when you see that word on the calculators think "stripping". you need soaps to remove oil to some degree - that's what soap does - but not too much!

Try the formula as is - but with a 15% lye discount if you want people to feel comfortable using it on their faces.

I'm an old lady so I use a very mild face-appropriate soap on my body as well, but many prefer to use different bars (body tolerating more "cleansing" and getting bigger lather, while face less cleansing and, sadly, less lather).

whats are good cleansing numbers for face/sensitive skin soap and body bars?

bumping this back up for some number suggestions. Especially what do you shoot for for hardness in body bar.

peace everyone :)

The lower the cleansing number the better. For face soap you should try to get the conditioning number high, if the soap is for someone with dry skin.

You could reduce the coconut oil to 20-25% and substitute something more moisturizing - avocado oil or shea or a combination thereof. Or go a little higher on the OO.

you must be looking at the original recipe. the one ive been tweaking has 20% co and ive used castor and shea to make it up w/ little change in the other base.

Need to alter the numbers more?

Carebear, concerning the discount you were talking about the original recp or the tweaked one.

Latest posts

Back