How to get a really bright red with CP Soap & Pigments/M

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safire_6

Reaction score
I have been trying to get a nice bright red using a "natural" coloring method and so far have had no luck. I've tried micas and pigments and can't get what I want. Do you know of anything else I might try?

It's funny that you ask that.. I was actually researching that just last week for use in lip balms. there is a natural compound called carmine...

It is made from beetles... yeah that sounds kinda nasty, but I figure..there are no shortage of beetles and they are pretty much a renewable resource because Im sure that whoever is making this stuff breeds the beetles as well... so its not like theyre taking them from "the wild"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmine

safire_6 said:
Eeew! I can see it on the label now...... :) :wink:

lol you would actually be suprised how many products you may use that have it as the colorant... i know burts bees uses it as the main colorant in all their red chap sticks...

The brightest red I have gotten so far was in my Candy Cane soap
candycane.jpg

We put TD in our lye soln, and at trace, took out some raw soap and added burgandy red oxide. When I use the brick red oxide, I get more of an orange red....
Hope that helps!
Susan

I just 'spoke' with Joan, the owner of www.sweetscents.com... she has had extensive experience with carmine, apparently it works very well in M&P soaps and B&B products...but it doesnt work so well when its added to soap, as the lye turns it a different color...

Why does lye always have to be hatin' on natural colorants!!!! :lol: :!:

lol

TD is titanium dioxide. You can use up tp 1 tsp per pound of oils, but I only use a fraction of that, about 1/4 tsp ppo. Adding the burgandy oxide to a whiter base seemed to brighten the red.
Hope that helps!
Susan

Latest posts

Back