color, where for art thou, color?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitehorsesoaps

Reaction score
Frustrating. I started with a nice white soap; I added WSP crafters choice royal blue powder, and it turned.....gray. I added more powder and it just turned a darker gray. How do I get the nice bright colors I want? Am I using the wrong product? :x

Blue can be an elusive color to get . Labcolors are good , but I can't always get the blue I want .Pop micas from TKB trading are awesome , the colors stay true ( strawberry pop is said to morph orange sometimes ), they are very easy to use and a little goes a long way .Here is a link for you .

http://www.tkbtrading.com/item.php?item ... gory_id=27

Hopefully someone else will pop in and you will have some others to choose from.

HTH

Kitn

Are you doing hp or cp? i use michaels soap color blue and it stays true in hp, dont think ive used in cp, yet.

It is in a CP batch. I've heard good things about the pop micas; I'll have to order some. I wasn't sure if it was the type of oil in my soap that was changing the colors, or if it was the colors themselves at fault. I also added a green liquid dye (for soaps!) and it turned brown in the soap. :cry:

I use ultramarine blue as well and I use it by weight. It's amazing what a different 1/10th of an ounce will make. I use .5 ounce for a VERY vibrant blue and .3 oz for a medium blue and I mix it in with my lye water for a uniform color. If I want to swirl it, I hold back a little of my oil and mix it with that first, then put it in with a little of the soap batter, THEN I swirl. I have gotten some great results.
Also, sometimes the ultramarine can give you a little bit of an abrasive quality, so be aware of that. It's not every time and I haven't figured out the deciding factor as to why it does that yet, but it does. It's not a bad thing at all, but it is there.
HTH!!!
Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back