Bubbles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee242

Reaction score
my soap comes out to about 14 on the calk.can i get it higher with out dropping all the others?

It is a bit difficult to help you as you don`t provide us with any information of what oils you use, or percentages of the oils, etc.

So if you could provide more information we may be able to help you : )

Ps! Adding sugar really helps upping the bubble action. I use 2 tbs ppo. I have used doubble of that too without problem, but settled with 4 tbs per. batch (1 kg)

my soap comes out to about 14 on the calk.can i get it higher with out dropping all the others?

Lee242, the bubbly number does not really tell you the entire story about bubbles. I have a 100% Rice Bran Oil soap that has copious small bubbles. Copious! The bubbly number in the lye calculator is 1. I did not add sugar or anything else. My suggestion is to make a small batch of your recipe and test it to see how it works.

Coconut oil 20%
Avocado 11.11
OO 13,89
Lard 52.78
Caster 2.22
soap calk Bar quality
Hard 43
Clean 14
Conditioning 51
bubbly range 14 - 46 If I get 16 in your recipe I would like to get better than that with out dropping the others very much.
So how do i get it to be a little more suds?

I dissolve 1 Tbsp sugar ppo in my water before adding the lye and it results in great bubbles. But as artemis said, it won't change the soap calc bubbly number. My usual bubbly numbers are 10 - 13 depending on the recipe.

Just FYI what would it take to get bubbly numbers up to say 20

Just FYI what would it take to get bubbly numbers up to say 20

Easy. More fats such as coconut oil, babassu, or palm kernel that provide more of the "bubbly" fatty acids, lauric and myristic acid.

But it's a trade off -- other "numbers" will drop in response to increasing these fatty acids. If you don't want any change except in the "bubbly number" you'll have to do something else besides changing the fats in the recipe. Like using sugar as the others are suggesting.

Why are you so fixed on this? You haven't explained the reasoning behind this idea and I'm puzzled.

As everyone says forget the soap calc numbers. They are meaningless. Put in pure OO soap and it say it's a soft soap. Pure OO soap after 6 months is a very hard bar.
Put in pure CO and the calc says it's a hard bar. Pure CO dissolves quickly so is that a hard bar?

The bet advice is to forget those calc numbers and concentrate on oil properties or look up DeeAnnas oil property numbers that really have meaning.

Back