~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > What soap recipe would you say....

Old 05-25-2017, 04:39 AM   #11
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2049 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Thank you everyone, I think that Brewer George has a suitable option for this project - using Wal Mart products. I do worry about allergies - and also using animal products in case these are given to people who's religions prohibit their use.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #12
cherrycoke216

Liked 427 Times on 240 Posts

Default What soap recipe would you say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenarenee View Post
Thank you everyone, I think that Brewer George has a suitable option for this project - using Wal Mart products. I do worry about allergies - and also using animal products in case these are given to people who's religions prohibit their use.

Maybe crisco instead if you are worried about animal products will upset someone or against their religion. Actually in my experience, most homeless are not that picky and actually quite friendly unless they have been abused or have mental illness. It's such a shame they fall out of system and some with mental illness it's harder for them to get back in. And with global economic in the toilet since 2008...I hope that government around the world will do something about it. Create more temporary jobs, some shift late at night.., for these people. Sometimes I have the feeling that certain kind of bourgeois/ middle class or upper class IS the bunch that are really picky or snob. Maybe the life stress, the peer pressure, or...first world problems. But I digress.

ETA: I'm thing about make some pine tar to give the church. Though I'm not a Christian or catholic .They supply one meal a day for homeless. And being homeless, means usually you don't have much money for skin conditions. And live on the street/ under the bridge does make their skin look rough. And pine tar being antibacterial, anti fungal, etc. might served this purpose well.

Last edited by cherrycoke216; 05-25-2017 at 07:42 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #13
BrewerGeorge

Liked 1556 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenarenee View Post
I know that Islam has a specific exemption to eat things that are haraam (forbidden) under duress. So washing with something probably wouldn't be a problem for most. I would suspect Judaism has a similar exemption.

Anyway, Walmart's vegetable shortening (with the pie on the front) is hydrogenated soy and palm. I use it for my daughter's vegan recipe and it works fine.
lenarenee Likes This 
Old 05-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #14
RDak

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

FWIW, to new soapers I always suggest a simple non allergenic type of recipe..........20 percent coconut, 50 percent lard/palm, 30 percent olive.

I tell them about 5 percent castor oil and let them know about the increased suds.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #15
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7859 Times on 4327 Posts
Likes Given: 16495

Unless you live in an incredibly small town, whatever shelter they stay in at night usually has commercially produced soap (mine uses Dial, as they are corporate tax write offs) for the people that stay with them. Therefore, they have choices if they have religious prohibitions against certain products. I, therefore, only worry about allergens. That would be the reason I write a label for the box. Then people can make informed choices.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #16
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Unless you live in an incredibly small town, whatever shelter they stay in at night usually has commercially produced soap (mine uses Dial, as they are corporate tax write offs) for the people that stay with them. Therefore, they have choices if they have religious prohibitions against certain products. I, therefore, only worry about allergens. That would be the reason I write a label for the box. Then people can make informed choices.
Yes that's really a reasonable solution - no one provide 100% perfection for every population. Label the soap well and let them make their own choices.
People Like This 
Old 05-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #17
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2329 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 1774

As the mother of sons who both at one time or another has utilized homeless shelters, I'm pretty sure that the homeless client isn't spending a lot of time scrutinizing the free soap. My eldest son is still considered homeless in that he lives in his van and sleeps where ever he can park it for the night. I give him soap and he loves it, but he cares more about access to a place to bathe than whats in his soap.

Granted, I think it's wonderful that any and all people who donate soap to shelters of all kinds are donating. Please continue and I do agree that labeling the soap is a good idea, of course. Other places to donate our soap if anyone wants to participate in this kind of kindness, are Food Pantries, who give items to the poor in many areas around the country; Women & Children's Shelters (where victims of abuse go for shelter); Veteran's Shelters; etc.
People Like This 
Old 05-28-2017, 09:55 PM   #18
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7859 Times on 4327 Posts
Likes Given: 16495

If you are still at a loss as to where to donate soaps, nursing homes are loaded with people who would LOVE to get a visit from the soap fairy. ESPECIALLY if you will take a minute to visit with them. Nursing homes use "low bid" soaps. Those women, especially, would adore to have something that smells good.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #19
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
If you are still at a loss as to where to donate soaps, nursing homes are loaded with people who would LOVE to get a visit from the soap fairy. ESPECIALLY if you will take a minute to visit with them. Nursing homes use "low bid" soaps. Those women, especially, would adore to have something that smells good.
I love this idea too! You've done this? What is a good size bar for this population? I find handmade soap to be very slippery, and the elderly often have arthritis so small bars are better?

Old 05-28-2017, 10:06 PM   #20
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2329 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 1774

Quote:

Some nursing homes no longer use bar soaps for bathing their clients and discourage them as gifts. However, even if that is the case, the staff love being gifted with homemade soap.