Circling Taiwan swirl.. I had to try.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually pre-mix micas in oil, mostly b/c I am afraid of getting clumps. But didn't really think it would reduce mixing/thickening time, do you find that it does?

As others have said, SB causes your soap to trace faster, so pre mix helps prevent going to heavier trace. The only thing I SB is my TD - because even tho I keep it pre mixed in a bottle, I worry about TD spots. Everything else gets mixed by hand, unless I want a thick trace for layers.

I just tried this swirl, as Viv said, it was fun to do. Mine is not ultra-gorgeous like hers, but I like it quite a bit. Also, the great thing about it - and the Taiwan swirl in general, is that at a basic level (non-Viv-artistic one:), it is pretty easy to do b/c the dividers do most of the work for you. This is a good one for relative swirling newbies, lots of impact w/o much failure potential so long as you pick the right colors. Any of you who are curious, I would try it.

Blimey Viv they are both stunning!! Your lines are always so crisp and well defined, I love looking at your soaps

Wow, gorgeous. Your lines are beautiful and the colours are stunning. I'm so itching to try this technique as I have a week off, but we're having to strip the plaster and paint off the outside of the house :cry: It's nowhere nearly as interesting! Can't wait to see your video, then I can feed the addiction by watching instead :grin:

Last edited:
That is friggin gorgeous.... it looks like a 3d flame effect... very very cool....

I'm with you! I will watch ANY soap making video. It's become my late night pass time.. And I talk to the screen when I'm annoyed! "We don't need to hear your stick blender for that long" "why is your tv volume on?" "Ugh... Pause your camera while you do that!" .... Those are the types of things I say out loud, and my husband thinks I'm crazy. I probably am.

Hahahahaha good to know I'm not the only one who watches soap making videos late at night n gets annoyed at the background noise n other things LOL

I like to watch other's design ideas and prep techniques as well. Lately I've had a creative block for my soaps & watching others really helps.

Last edited:
I have been deliberately avoiding this technique as it is everywhere, but those are so beautiful. Perhaps I will give it a try..... You have a really good eye for colour :)

You do, Viv, your color choices are always perfect. You seem like one of those people that just has a natural instinct for it unlike those of us who torture ourselves with thought and color palettes!

Awe thanks ladies! It's funny because this soap was actually one of the first recipes I made when I was trying to stick with natural colorants. I used red palm for the yellow, and red clay for the red. My design has evolved over the year(s) but my colors on this soap have stayed the same. For this batch I added TD to part of the mix and I think I like it.... Of course now I use red oxide too because sticking with natural colors went out the window very shortly after my soapmaking addiction began

I really envy those of you - not v. many, I think - w/instinctive design skills. I like to learn/experiment, so I am good with making mistakes and working hard, but it must be kind of a different soapy world when the design answers just seem obvious. They rarely are for me.

Exquisite. I am beginning to think there are distinct groups of soapers out in the world. The reason why they make soap at home is because:
* They want at least 20 perfect fragrances to throw in them
*As kids, they wanted at-home chemistry sets but never got one
*They want to swirl & mound soap colors

And the result of all is- Cupboards overflowing with equipment, containers, fragrances, and additives to a level that a hobby shed is needed, one with running water, a stove, and cabinetry.

When are we going to see the cut pics? I'm dying to see those or, wait, did I miss them somehow?

LOVE it!!! They're gorgeous! I really need to try this, I keep seeing it all over the place... time to jump on the soapy bandwagon, eh? :)

Exquisite. I am beginning to think there are distinct groups of soapers out in the world. The reason why they make soap at home is because:
* They want at least 20 perfect fragrances to throw in them
*As kids, they wanted at-home chemistry sets but never got one
*They want to swirl & mound soap colors

And the result of all is- Cupboards overflowing with equipment, containers, fragrances, and additives to a level that a hobby shed is needed, one with running water, a stove, and cabinetry.

Lol I think I fit all three categories

I fit the chemistry set category haha.. I also wanted a holly hobby oven but my mom hated messes. I've MORE than made up for that.

Back