Coffee Soap Issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetbean

Reaction score
I'm not too sure what went wrong. I mixed strongly brewed coffee with lye (subbed all water with coffee). I did not freeze my coffee, but plan on doing that next time. Then, mixed my lye solution with oils. Stick blended like usual. Then, the colorant from the coffee seemed to be only throughout certain parts of the soap. I also think I have DOS on some of the soap, but am not sure.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1493050907.489286.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1493050921.626473.jpg

I think that looks rather nice right now. I definitely do not see signs of DOS. Maybe it's glycerine rivers? ANyway, I hope someone chimes in.

Thank you for your reply! I do kind of like the way it looks, but wasn't sure if I did something wrong.

I use only natural colorants and find that it takes a week or 2 for the shelf stable color to set in. A good example is when the lye hits turmeric in one of the soaps i make it turns it and everything a bright deep fire engine red but 24 hours later as it saponifies it turns lighter and about 3-6 days after unfolding is a nice muted yellow. Give it some time and see what happens. I also get color variation in the cut but in the same 3-6 days it all equalizes.

I don't have the answers you need but wanted to chime in about the frozen coffee. I froze my triple brewed coffee and my lye didn't dissolve. I couldn't see it at the bottom because the coffee is so dark. It totally wrecked my soap. I tryed rebatching and now Iam throwing out 4 pounds of disaster. Just wanted to share about the frozen coffee. Because it didn't work for me. I added it a little at a time... I still don't know what went wrong

I don't have the answers you need but wanted to chime in about the frozen coffee. I froze my triple brewed coffee and my lye didn't dissolve. I couldn't see it at the bottom because the coffee is so dark. It totally wrecked my soap. I tryed rebatching and now Iam throwing out 4 pounds of disaster. Just wanted to share about the frozen coffee. Because it didn't work for me. I added it a little at a time... I still don't know what went wrong

I am sorry this happened to you!

If you thought you had to freeze the coffee to mix with the NaOH, you don't. It is helpful to have cold coffee to mix with the lye, but not frozen. I have even used room temperature coffee with no problems, but you have to wait for it to cool down if you are going to swirl with it. Cold coffee just shortens that wait time.

I am sorry this happened to you!

If you thought you had to freeze the coffee to mix with the NaOH, you don't. It is helpful to have cold coffee to mix with the lye, but not frozen. I have even used room temperature coffee with no problems, but you have to wait for it to cool down if you are going to swirl with it. Cold coffee just shortens that wait time.

Coffee soap! I will master it lol

Latest posts

Back