Recorrected batch of soap recipe without coconut oil for sensitive facial skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuncimokus

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This morning I made a new 500g batch of soap without coconut oil as some of the members suggested as my previous recipe which was a tweak of Genny's shampoo bar was drying for my face after 6 weeks of curing..

These oils were on hand and calculated with the soap calculator. :)

Recipe: 7% superfat

Rice bran oil : 200g
Sesame oil : 50g
Sunflower oil : 100g
Avocado oil : 50g
Grapeseed oil : 50g
Macadamia oil : 50g
NaOH : 62.48g
Fresh goat milk : 150g
Additives : Organic rolled oat meal, raw honey, lavender essential oil.

Its fairly quickly got into trace and looked good :)

What do you all think??? :)

Hi WeaversPort, thank you for your reply! :) I sliced it up this morning, its not too hard or soft either, just perfect. The only bad thing in soap making is the waiting time, cannot wait to use it... :):) Will definetly let you know how my skin behaves after using it. :)

Hi WeaversPort, thank you for your reply! :) I sliced it up this morning, its not too hard or soft either, just perfect. The only bad thing in soap making is the waiting time, cannot wait to use it... :):) Will definetly let you know how my skin behaves after using it. :)
If you can't wait to use it, I know that feeling! LOL Here's what I do... try grating up 5 oz., put it in a microwave safe container, nuke it for a minute, let set for 5 minutes; knead it into a ball and press it into a single cavity mold. Stick it in the fridge for an hour. Unmold. Give it a couple of days or so to give it a go.

Without any coconut in there, and a ratio of 20:80 Saturated fat to Unsaturated fat, it will prolly be as slimey as a slug, I'm guessing, and with an INS value of 84 (160 being so-called "perfect" soap) I'm surprised you were able to unmold it.

Hardness [29 - 54] - 19
Cleansing [12 - 22] - 0
Conditioning [44 - 69] - 77
Bubbly [14 - 46] - 0
Creamy [16 - 48] - 18
Iodine [41 - 70] - 107
INS [136 - 165] - 84

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Zany_in_CO,

Thanks alot for the tip on how to try out freshly made soap earlier..

I have been experimenting with different ratios of coconut oil in my soaps, but they always dry out my facial skin. Im thinking of the pH also dries me out..

So for the recommendations of other members here, i made this recipe without coconut oil as it may irritates my skin..

Actually I could have unmolded the soap after 1 hour perfectly without any oiliness.. and it was surprising..

Members also said that soap will always cleanse the skin no matter if there is no coconut oil in it..

Leather was just enough when i washed out the silicon mold..

I think it will be the same lather after 8 weeks of cure if not better..

So how would you change up the quantity of oils?

Thank you, ☺

Last edited:
Thanks alot for the tip on how to try out freshly made soap earlier..
You're welcome a lot! :mrgreen:
So how would you change up the quantity of oils?
At this point, I wouldn't change a thing! Ya don't really know whatcha have until full cure.

SHORT STORY: I have all those lovely oils on hand -- I use them in lotion making and some of them in LS Shampoo. All are beneficial to skin and hair. When I woke up this morning, my first thought was to make a small batch of your soap! LOL Just out of curiosity. But I promised myself I would sit on my hands and watch patiently as your Soapy Adventure developes. Silly, I know, but I find it exciting! ...Simple minds; simple pleasures...

PS: (Wailing) I want my Edit Button! Those numbers are not shown the way they were typed and I went to great pains to make them "pretty" on the page! What's up with that, I respectfully ask?

This recipe sounds very interesting! I love the touch of oatmeal and honey. My only two cents would be not to use grapeseed oil in soap as it is very quick to go rancid. I also heard a rumor that rice bran will go rancid as well within 6-12 months. Something to keep in mind unless you're planning on using up the soap right away =)

This recipe sounds very interesting! I love the touch of oatmeal and honey. My only two cents would be not to use grapeseed oil in soap as it is very quick to go rancid. I also heard a rumor that rice bran will go rancid as well within 6-12 months. Something to keep in mind unless you're planning on using up the soap right away =)

Here is a link to an article that addresses the shelf life of many commonly used soap oils.

Rice Bran oil is said to have a shelf life of 1-2 years. That's the oil itself, not once it is saponified by the lye.

If ROE (Rosemary Oleoresin) is added to the oil when it is new, that's one more method of postponing the oxidation. And adding EDTA to the soap in addition to the ROE that is added to bottles of oil when they are opened, increases its effectiveness to prevent DOS in the soap after it's made.

Some people use Citric Acid or BHT or combinations of the aforementioned ingredients to help combat DOS. Here is an article reporting Dr. Kevin Dunn's research and findings on effective ways to combat DOS. I found this very useful when considering what method I wanted to use to prevent DOS.

Another method is to use low SF levels. After all it is the excess oils in soap that are likely to go rancid, not the already saponified oils.

Another method is to use low SF levels. After all it is the excess oils in soap that are likely to go rancid, not the already saponified oils.
Ditto. Also, for what it's worth, I'd like to add that I've been soaping since 2004. I've never experienced DOS, and soda ash showed up once on individual cavity bars that were left uncovered. (I've also been known to soap rancid oils/fats without a problem -- only for personal use, of course).

To prevent DOS I use 1/2 tsp of ROE (33% in jojoba) PPO and a squirt of Vitamin E (1000 IU) PPO in every batch and cover the batch after molding up. I also soap in the range of 0% - 6% lye discount aka "superfat".

HTH :bunny:

Latest posts

Back