Usage rate for Guaiac wood

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nao

Reaction score
Does anybody know the maximum usage rate for Guaiac wood essential oil in soap and leave on products? I received a bottle of it the other day and so far I love it. Though I can't find anything on google about what amounts to use it in.

I didn't google, but I did yahoo and I think if you look up "Palo Santo Essential Oil" you may find a little bit about it. I did find a site that might get you in the right direction, although I don't know anything about the site http://www.experience-essential-oils.com/palo-santo-oil.html. Also the genus name is Bursera graveolens. So there's a start for you. :)

I'm not quite sure whether one could handle guaiac the same way as palo santo, even if they comes from the same plant, they aren't quite the same thing. Thought looking around some more Guaiac seems to be a very safe oil so maybe one could use it in however high amounts one likes without worry?

Check to see if there is anyone in your area that is certified to work with essential oils. They may be able to tell you more about it. Or call the manufacturer? Just from that website it seems safe as they talk about putting it right on the affected area. But like I said earlier, I don't know that website, and don't know much about EO's, so its just a starting point.

Guaiacwood oil is really a waste in soap. If you use it reserve it for leave on products. But I would use it for a massage oil mixed with a carrier oil. It is from the family of lymphatic decongestants and will do nothing in a soap.

You'll find it is a thick oil and in order to use drops you will have to heat it a little. It has a heavy smoky scent so needs to be paired with something sweet or maybe bergamot to tone it down.

Nature's Gift has it. If all else fails, you can ask the owner for advice. Here's a link:

http://www.naturesgift.com/product/guaiacwood-15-ml/

Since it's thick, and a base note, if t'were me, I'd dilute it at 10% in jojoba oil (to extend shelf life) and use it to anchor EO blends -- vs. using it therapeutically. But of course, it all depends on what you're going for.

Back