Dandelions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I put Dandelion in the search and this came up. Do any of you have any dandelion flowers growing as I want to make a salve for my mother. She has terrible rheumatoid arthritis and is always in pain. I know its used mostly for muscle pain but it might help her. The arnica cream Ive made for her for years isnt doing the job anymore. She's 88 and nothing works well anymore.

I have not been able to find flowers here in Florida nor ANYWHERE online. I can get leaf and roots but not flowers. Seeds take 3 months to grow and do not always germinate. Even my herbalist friends dont have any and say good luck in florida. Not sure why.

Im more than happy to pay for them and shipping. Please let me know.

Been there also. Only shipping from Bulgaria. I was on the net for hours looking. I was surprised that there are none! Even though they are supposedy everywhere!.

I have no idea how useful this is but dandelion flowers feature in rabbit treats - I bought a dried dandelion flower and plant mix for my buns for a gew years now. Could try looking into that as another possible source??

Its too early and too cold in the UK to be able to help out - a few months from now and we would have loads!

I get that these are in Bulgaria, but the actual cost of shipping was only $4 to Austin, TX when I put them in my cart.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/290640...EuJfGHmyGyYCjqKrdZYgrO3jh6VAGtg3doaAnvm8P8HAQ

https://www.etsy.com/listing/230709...d0F66rAxssxGOHyffEUFkFqyTCvpfjmC6caApYl8P8HAQ

Yes from Bulgaria as I said earlier in the post. its a very small amount and the shipping is high for the small amount. Believe me when I say I have searched high and low! I would never come here asking if I hadn't searched everywhere. Shipping to me was $16 for a few ounces.

I have no idea how useful this is but dandelion flowers feature in rabbit treats - I bought a dried dandelion flower and plant mix for my buns for a gew years now. Could try looking into that as another possible source??

Its too early and too cold in the UK to be able to help out - a few months from now and we would have loads!

Thank you for the suggestion - I looked there as well and its leaf and greens. I need flowers. But thank you so much.

How awesome is this group?? One of our forum members has been kind enough to offer to help me out. I had truly scoured the internet looking and only found the Etsy Bulgaria listing. You guys are always such a blessing! Thank you!!

I'd help too but I'm not a property owner and... The source would be less that savory for using on the body. Dandelions are plentiful in the major NYC parks but so are lazy dog owners and homeless people.

We don't spray our yard. I don't see the point. And I'm a beekeeper -- bees love dandelions. I'll have a lot of dandelion flowers to pick this spring.

Side question- is the dandelion honey sweet or on the savory side? General curiousity impelled me to ask.

OP- It looks like you're getting a lot of help. The only other thing I can do involves a trip to an herbal store that I don't know if it's still open.

Arimara -- my honey is from mixed sources, so I don't know what honey from pure dandelion nectar would taste like. My spring and early summer (dandelion season) honey is light flavored and light colored, with a sweet citrus-y flavor. I'm sure dandelion nectar is in that, but there's also clover, fruit tree, and basswood (linden) nectar and such as well.

Arimara -- my honey is from mixed sources, so I don't know what honey from pure dandelion nectar would taste like. My spring and early summer (dandelion season) honey is light flavored and light colored, with a sweet citrus-y flavor. I'm sure dandelion nectar is in that, but there's also clover, fruit tree, and basswood (linden) nectar and such as well.

Deanna - How cool to have your own bees! Ill assume you also have your own beeswax? I get mine from a local beekeeper here and it is so beautiful. I also use her honey. How fascinating!

yes dandelions are weed here, I do not know if you got that dandelion root is the most beneficial. combine Arnica and comfrey with essential oils. I do not think you can get used to herbal salves. I use mine for years with real effect. ask you grandma to take a tsp of gelatine with her morning tea or coffee, very effective

yes dandelions are weed here, I do not know if you got that dandelion root is the most beneficial. combine Arnica and comfrey with essential oils. I do not think you can get used to herbal salves. I use mine for years with real effect. ask you grandma to take a tsp of gelatine with her morning tea or coffee, very effective

Not so true Dahlia - The roots and leaf are more medicinal in teas and for internal healing where the flowers are more beneficial for pain relief (ie salves and massage oils) I have made my mom an arnica cream with Pepperment, Eucalyptus and Ginger EO's and a salve for years but wanted to try something different. I have also used Comfrey quite often as well.

Latest posts

Back