Clarification Of MP Base Crafting Techniques

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymy

Reaction score
Hi guys! I've been reading as much posts as I could and starting to digest them bit by bit. I have few doubts regarding few matters.

1) If the recipe calls for 150g water through soapcalc, so basically I have to melt down lye in 100g and another 50g is for the sugar,correct?

2) Some crafters use propylene glycol to make a meltable base, but rubbing alcohol either 70% or 99% if not meltable. For the 70% rubbing alcohol, do I have to deduct 30% water from the recipe?

3) the process is kinda similar to HP, as far as I know, even HP soap needs to be cured properly minimum 2 weeks. Does this clear soap has to undergo the same amount of curing time too?

Sorry for the questions, I'm new in this forum and trying to learn something out of my league but I have experience making HP and CP soap. I hope there are few MP legends out there that could help me clear things up :(

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I found this thread: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=60536&highlight=transparent

Topofmurrayhill has been successful making MP soap from scratch. Hopefully he will chime in (or you could PM him).

IrishLass :)

Thank you so much @IrishLass. I highly appreciate your reply. I'll give him a PM. So, making a clear base is like adding another step into normal CP just to make it translucent/clear? Will the base be better compared to normal CP soap with same recipe?

I have not had good luck in remelting base made with alcohol. My base made with propylene glycol remelts easily. You can use Everclear or Vodka as a solvent in making clear soap, but as I said, mine didn't remelt well. Here is more info.

http://www.millersoap.com/glycerinsoap.html

That you so much lsg!!! Yup, time to stock up some propylene glycol I guess but it's kinda hard to get it here. Need to drive 400km to purchase them. Sigh. Rubbing alcohol is easy.

Latest posts

Back