Is this the right kind of aloe juice to buy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there were two threads about this before, both by myself and Obsidian that were posted about the same time:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=61757
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=61756

However, my main concern would be with the fact the juice is manufactured by the same company, Fruit of the Earth, whose aloe vera gel was found to be lacking actual aloe. Real aloe is expensive, and to me it seems unlikely one can purchase an entire gallon of 99.8% aloe vera juice for $6.44.

While most of the article speaks to gel, it also mentioned this:

"Independently, ConsumerLab.com said it had Fruit of the Earth brand Aloe Vera 100% Gel tested using nuclear magnetic resonance and found no evidence of aloe, while a competing brand, Aubrey Organics, did contain the markers that indicate aloe. ConsumerLab said it tested a dozen aloe products, including pills and juices, and just half the items appeared to meet the claims on their labels."

I do not have access to the entire Consumer Lab testing report to know which juices actually passed the test, but Fruit of the Earth brand was highlighted for failing their gel test and, right or wrong, I extrapolate that business practice out to their other products.

I have never used gel in my soap. The juice I get at WalMart definitely affects the amount of lather I get. So even if it isn't aloe, it has sugar in it and works well. And a bottle lasts me long time so I do not feel like it is a waste of money.

Since it's so cheap, I may just test it out anyway, especially if others have had good results.

For a better chance at purity, maybe buying aloe juice powder on Amazon and reconstituting it is the best option?

I have never used gel in my soap. The juice I get at WalMart definitely affects the amount of lather I get. So even if it isn't aloe, it has sugar in it and works well. And a bottle lasts me long time so I do not feel like it is a waste of money.

same here. whatever is in the stuff from walmart, it definitely increases lather and its easy to work with. No overheating, no volcanoing, no discoloration. Use it 100% replacement for water, works great.

Since its such a big jug, if you can't use it up within a couple months, freeze it in ice cubes. Then you can pull out whatever you need when you soap.

Back