Funny stuff I found while surfing the 'net

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it anyway...

Just for those on the forum who like men.

Brown horse.jpg

Last edited:
Another post made me start seaching the net for some obscure laundry detergent recipe (don't know if it really exists or not, got distracted) and found this about 'bucking with lye'.

It's apparently a method of bleaching laundry (once a year or more often, not really sure) that was the norm centuries ago. Sounds sort of disgusting because besides using lye and ashes and a bucking cloth, urine or dung was also used.

Here's the link to the article. There are links to various old-time methods for doing household things that look pretty interesting.

Another post made me start seaching the net for some obscure laundry detergent recipe (don't know if it really exists or not, got distracted) and found this about 'bucking with lye'.

It's apparently a method of bleaching laundry (once a year or more often, not really sure) that was the norm centuries ago. Sounds sort of disgusting because besides using lye and ashes and a bucking cloth, urine or dung was also used.

Here's the link to the article. There are links to various old-time methods for doing household things that look pretty interesting.

Urine was also used for setting dyes in fabric. Those poor Scots women making tartan....

Urine was also used for setting dyes in fabric. Those poor Scots women making tartan....

Well I guess that sort of makes sense. I used to use vinegar to set dyes in fabrics. In fact I still do when dying wool roving. Although compared to urine, I'm wondering if ammonia would do the same thing. But the fumes from ammonia is pretty darned obnoxious. :think:

Well I guess that sort of makes sense. I used to use vinegar to set dyes in fabrics. In fact I still do when dying wool roving. Although compared to urine, I'm wondering if ammonia would do the same thing. But the fumes from ammonia is pretty darned obnoxious. :think:

I was taught that salt sets dye in fabric. Is that right?

Back