Total Newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allinalather

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post.

Whilst I was on line ordering my candle making kit (not made candles for 30 odd years), I became very interested in soap making. I have bought a couple of books, awaiting delivery.

I have two initial questions.

1. I have read through some of the posts and I have NO IDEA what you are all talking about :crazy: is there a glossary somewhere please?

2. Husband is very sensitive. Cannot use biological washing powder and softener has to be baby friendly. He has hay fever, allergic to the dogs, develops eczema under stress etc. Can anyone point me to a link that might give me some hints on what/ what not to use. (I did find something, but can't find it now.)

Looking to start with an exfoliant such as oatmeal, fragrance free (he ain't going to use rose or lavender).

This looks as though it could be fun :)

Welcome!

This thread might help http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=32055 - it is easier for people to use shorthand for ingredients, but it doesn't make it so easy for new soapers.

As for the sensitivity, I would start off with no scent, colour and just plain water - this is good advice in general when starting out (although a simple colour and scent are usually not an issue) as it means that you are able to learn to soap with out the issues that come from using milks instead of water and so on.

A good starting recipe would be

50% lard/tallow/palm (that is in the order of my preference)
35% olive
15% coconut

As a base to work from. But you need to be careful, of course - if he reacts to coconut or whatever, it can be trickier. Has he been tested for allergies?

Thank you for your quick reply.

I won't be making a start until I have done some research and read the books. Thanks for the link. I will be reading your blog in the very near future. You are correct, definitely start simple.

Thanks, I will check out the video. Definitely want pretty at some stage, but I need to walk before I run.

Walking before you run is always a good idea!

Welcome to the forum!

I happened to look up a basic soap making tutorial to print off for a co-worker who does not have internet just last night. This is the best I could find, with the fewest errors to correct.

http://www.soap-making-resource.com/cold-process-soap-making.html

A couple of corrections, though:

NEVER use glass or Pyrex to mix the lye and water or the soap in. It can etch and shatter. Always use stainless steel or plastic with a 2 or a 5 in the triangle on the bottom.

You need not worry about the temperature of the oils and lye water if you are not swirling.

Thank you for the welcome and the link Susie.

Thanks for the tip on not using pyrex. I will need to get another stick blender, I will add it to my shopping list.

There's no glossary, but if you post your questions we'll be glad to answer! Off the top of my head:
CP - cold process. This is when you mix lye water with melted oils.
HP - hot process. You mix lye water with oils, then cook the soap batter in a crock pot or in a pot on the stove.
EO - essential oil.
FO - fragrance oil
DOS - dreaded orange spots. These are little spots of rancidity in your soap. And we hate them. HATE HATE HATE them.

Vendors - we often get lazy and use acronyms for vendors.
BB - brambleberry
WSP - wholesale supplies plus
NG - nature's garden

If you go onto the beginners forum there is an acronym and abbreviation thread usually right at the top of the page that will answer all your questions. When I first joined I visited that thread a lot.
Welcome.

Thank you dixiedragon. Efficacious Gentleman posted a good link (post 2) which certainly helps. Most of the words are new to me so it is very confusing. I have decided not to read the horror stories just yet, in case it puts me off!

Ordered a new stick blender and now shopping for plastic basin, spoons etc. The video was really helpful. I had not realised that the soap had to cure for such a long time.

I am going to wait a couple of weeks before I try my first batch, lots of reading up to do first, but I am sure I will be posting questions before I start. I am having a lot of fun looking at moulds and stuff I probably won't need for a while yet.

There's no glossary, but if you post your questions we'll be glad to answer! Off the top of my head:
CP - cold process. This is when you mix lye water with melted oils.
HP - hot process. You mix lye water with oils, then cook the soap batter in a crock pot or in a pot on the stove.
EO - essential oil.
FO - fragrance oil
DOS - dreaded orange spots. These are little spots of rancidity in your soap. And we hate them. HATE HATE HATE them.

Vendors - we often get lazy and use acronyms for vendors.
BB - brambleberry
WSP - wholesale supplies plus
NG - nature's garden

Dixidragon, there is an acronym and abbreviation thread that EG posted the link for - http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=32055

Welcome to the forum. If its any help I have horrendous hayfever too. You name it and it makes me sneeze, want to scratch out my eyes with rusty spoons and gives me hives like I'm impersonating a bee or something. I have found that homemade soap is one thing that doesn't set of my allergies so hopefully you will find that the same is for your husband.

I will second the recipe given earlier but with 5% Castor oil taken from the lard/Tallow/ Palm amount. Good luck and remember to have fun while your at it :D

Here are a couple of good videos to watch to get you started:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYhH20vWxvc[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWnqXTqZTvU[/ame]

Welcome! Switching to home-made soap and laundry detergent really cleared up my hubby's itchy skin, I hope it works as well for you!

Please do check your first couple recipes here, even if you get them out of books - the science of homemade soap has increased hugely in the last few years and some books have out dated information.

Welcome! I am newish as well, but would advise to make sure you remember safety gear. Gloves, goggles, mask, etc. And ALWAYS add the lye to the liquid, never the other way around. Safety first and you'll be fine. You will have to tell us about your first batch!

Everyone with allergies has different sensitivities but for eczema you might like to research Castile soap made from 100% pure olive oil without fragrance or colours. The only draw back is it takes about 6 months to cure and about 12 months before it gets really great. But, for many eczema sufferers it is a godsend.

I hope you enjoy your journey. At least you can make some fragrant colourful soaps for yourself!

I was also going to suggest castile soap with his skin being so sensitive. It is my favorite soap for facial cleansing as it is extremely gentle.

ETA: Welcome to the forum!

Christina

Last edited:
Apologies, suddenly notices were sent to my spam folder :(

Thank you for your replies. Susie, I watched one of the videos, I will watch the other one tomorrow.

@Seawolfe, excellent idea, yes, will certainly post first recipes here for comment before I start.

Two soap books arrived today "Natural Soap" by Melinda Cross and "Make your own soap" by Joy James. So I am drooling over the recipes.

Latest posts

Back