total newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cypress

Reaction score
I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to take the plunge. I am waiting for my lye to arrive but thought in the mean time I would ask for opinions on a laundry bar recipe for homemade laundry soap. I have been doing a fels-nap-tha borax and washing soda recipe and I love it but would like to replace the fels with homemade. I also thought it would be safer for a first attempt since its not being used on skin.

here's what I have come up with please correct me if I am out in left field

beef tallow 60.38%
coconut oil 72 degrees 26.42%
soybean oil 13.21%
water 57.24 ounces
lye 24.125 ounces
superfat is at 0.5% for margin of error
water is at 36%

any feed back is welcome :mrgreen:

Showing my lack of knowlege :(

I was afraid if I went 100% co it would be hard to grate/dissolve but I also don't think it would be a lot of fun to wash clothes only to have them come out dirty :oops:

So laundry soap can only be 100% co? :-?

Hey and welcome!

Yes, it can be 100% CO. That is what I use, then white vinegar in a Downy ball for the rinse. I do not use any superfat, either.

If you are making that into liquid by grating, adding to boiling water, then adding borax and washing soda, you do know you can make liquid soap with potassium hydroxide(KOH), right? That way you skip 3 steps or so.

Thanks for the welcome
Susie I actually use a whipped version that is kind of like a cream. Later I might try liquid soap but right now I need to learn cp before I ever attempt liquid.

Do you guys find making soap to be more cost effective than buying it? I already realize the benefits and (if I don't blow up the house) it's something I want to do, but if I could show a lower cost it would help get my hubby on board. He wouldn't grumble about making soap instead of soup.

Do you guys find making soap to be more cost effective than buying it? I already realize the benefits and (if I don't blow up the house) it's something I want to do, but if I could show a lower cost it would help get my hubby on board. He wouldn't grumble about making soap instead of soup.

Making soap is certainly not more cost effective than purchasing store soaps. But much better on the skin. However, if you mean others handmade soaps then yes, it is more cost effective to make it ourselves for the most part. However, there is the initial costs such oils, lye etc which you can get at your local store or hardware store in some cases. You can use boxes or pvc pipes as molds so you don't necessarily need to purchase molds.

I made 4 lbs of 100% CO 0.5%SF soap, and that amount lasts over 1 year for 2 people when made into dry powder (2 parts grated soap to 1 part borax and 1 part washing soda) plus stain sticks. It takes me less than 30 minutes to grate enough soap to fill our batch bin (large coffee container) on a box grater while watching TV.

now I really want my lye hurry up ups,

but really thank you guys for all the help, I think I'm going to go with more co and some tallow no soy. I already have the tallow in the freezer might as well use it, but I think you saved me a lot with the soy. If that sounds ok

My laundry soap is certainly cheaper than buying commercial stuff.(Once I got the equipment.)

And you are correct, you need to make CP first. If you are making the dry version of the Fels-Naptha laundry soap, then liquid soap is not easier than that. Just the liquid version of it.

Latest posts

Back