Shop Vac a life saver!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my2scents

Reaction score
Making 13 lbs of soap this afternoon, divided into 3 4.5 lb batches. added Anise & peppermint with charcoal swirl in the log mold & Anise pods on top, Then getting ready to add to my second batch & the container slipped & all my batter splattered & hit the hardwood floor! All 4.5 lbs of it.

I had to think fast. I only had socks on so I ran & grabbed my two dogs & threw them outside in the backyard before they could come & try & investigate, put some shoes on & thought for a moment " I can save this & scoop it up back into the container" then I caught some sense & was like " no thats not gonna happen"
I ran & got the wet/dry shop vac & sucked up all the batter, wiped the floor down with 3 rounds of wet paper towels then mopped it with a vinegar/ dish soap mixture & then went over it twice with plain water.
The shop vac saved the day, I was able to after all that still add fragrance & a 3 color swirl to my remaining batch that had been sitting on the counter for 20 mins.
I didn't have big plans for the batch that hit the floor I was just going to divide it up into some small mini bar molds to use up a bunch of scent samples I'd collected over the last year.
It would have been a disaster to clean up without the shop vac & once the soap sets, I'll have a very clean shop vac too!

Wow, that WAS quick thinking. It is good you wiped it down with the vinegar water, just in case. Next month, let us know if you can see anything strange on the floor where the batter was spilled.

I make soap in my driveway. If I have an industrial accident making soap, I don't mess up anything in the house. I'm actually not ready to make soap in the house like ya'll are doing. Brave!

It seems fine, I mean its a wet dry vac & basically whatever you vac up goes up the plastic hose & straight into the plastic bowl, I'm not going to clean it out until the soap sets, but I did run water through the hose as soon as I was done so I wouldnt have a blocked hose.

I really do love shop vacs. that is what I have for my main vac. A tiny little one for my hard floors. I am going to remember this! I am totally capable of spilling my soap! Quick thinking!

Back