How Many Different Scents Should

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ablessing

Reaction score
Hi, I am totally new to soap making, as in, I am writing a business plan, getting licensed, zoning, resale certificate, etc.

I was wondering how many different types of soaps and scents is a practical number to start out offering? I plan to make and sell only melt & pour soaps to start out. I'm trying to be as detailed as possible in my planning so that I can get some financing help and so that I can have a clear picture of the road ahead :)

Thanks guys :D

Welcome ablessing! :)

I've been soaping for 5+ years but am content with keeping things to a hobby status and being the sole supplier of soap to my exclusive but adoring 'clientelle' made up of my family and friends :wink: , so I'm no help when it comes to running a business, but if I ever decided to do so, I would definitely start with this thread first:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=17621

There's a lot of great info and advice in there from those in the 'biz' about what things are necessary and what to expect with with running a B&B business, potential problems you may run into, and a host of other things to consider when starting a soaping business. I commend you on preparing and getting all your ducks in a row to get a clear picture of the road ahead. It's always good to be prepared and the above link will give you a lot to chew on and mull over and help to give you a clearer picture.

As someone who has been making soap for a little over five years (which is a short time compared to some of our other members who would most likely consider me a newbie :wink: ), the best, most important, and most wise 'if I only knew then what I know now' advice I can give you is to give yourself at least one year of product development, designing, and testing before deciding to sell. I've seen a lot of new soapers over the years jump into things too soon and end up wishing they had taken way more time at the first, and I'd just hate to see it happen again.

IrishLass :)

Back