Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > General Chat > Shampoo bar

Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
aihrat
Gently gently

Liked 108 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaversPort View Post
I'm fascinated by shampoo bars, even though most people here recommend against them, and I have super fine hair that my hairdresser jokes responds best to controlled damage

How long have you been using shampoo bars? You add sodium citrate to your hair? How does that work?
Rats, I meant to say I add sodium citrate to my shampoo bars.

I find shampoo bars fascinating too! And it makes sense that it would make the fine-haired, straight-haired crew quite happy since it's a bit of a cheat to get volume

There's a a legendary shampoo bar recipe by Genny (link here) that I've been meaning to try after I finish my current batch of bars. I'd probably add sodium citrate to mine, and an egg yolk for lather. It sounds like an amazing recipe for people who like shampoo bars and everyone raves about it so I can't wait to try it!

WeaversPort Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #12
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4202 Times on 2821 Posts
Likes Given: 3384

Quote:
Originally Posted by aihrat View Post
Rats, I meant to say I add sodium citrate to my shampoo bars.

I find shampoo bars fascinating too! And it makes sense that it would make the fine-haired, straight-haired crew quite happy since it's a bit of a cheat to get volume

There's a a legendary shampoo bar recipe by Genny (link here) that I've been meaning to try after I finish my current batch of bars. I'd probably add sodium citrate to mine, and an egg yolk for lather. It sounds like an amazing recipe for people who like shampoo bars and everyone raves about it so I can't wait to try it!
I don't use the recipe linked for shampoo but for a great facial/body bar with a tweak or two. It's a great soap.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #13
aihrat
Gently gently

Liked 108 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
I don't use the recipe linked for shampoo but for a great facial/body bar with a tweak or two. It's a great soap.
If you don't mind sharing, what did you tweak to make it more suitable as a bath/body soap?
WeaversPort Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6101 Times on 3145 Posts
Likes Given: 4093

I can't speak for Shunt/Shari, but for what it's worth, I too use Genny's shampoo bar recipe as a regular body bar and/or facial soap. The only tweak I've make to mine is that I use high oleic sunflower oil in place of the soybean oil. As far as hardness goes- it does not make a super duper rock-hard bar, but it's very gentle and the lather is surprisingly rich and bubbly in spite of not having any coconut oil or any of the other high-bubbling oils in it. It has since usurped the throne that Castile once held as my favorite gentle formula. It doesn't get as hard as a Castile gets after a year of cure, but the lather is so much nicer than my Castile (it bubbles right up in my hand without the need of a washcloth or pouf for friction) and is non-goopy/slimy.

Edited to add- I should mention that I use 5% sugar in it, as well as tetrasodium EDTA, which helps with my hard water issues.

IrishLass
People Like This 
Old 04-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #15
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4202 Times on 2821 Posts
Likes Given: 3384

Quote:
Originally Posted by aihrat View Post
If you don't mind sharing, what did you tweak to make it more suitable as a bath/body soap?

I too use sunflower. I've also used avocado.
aihrat Likes This 
Old Today, 04:21 AM   #16
JillGat

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can someone post a syndet shampoo bar recipe here? I went to SwiftMonkey's site and cannot seem to follow her directions. She assumes some knowledge that I don't have and then I have to do a lot of searching on her site to find it. Or she'll say something like, "you can use either U^%88755ZZX or increase the amount of CXXZZ@#$332 if you want." (I made up those ingredients, but that's what they look like to me). How would I know what I want? Anyway, I posted this question on another soapmaking forum and got chewed up and spit out for being too "lazy" to do more of my own research.

I've made conditioner using behentrimonium and cetyl alcohol (from lotioncrafter.com), so I'm not afraid of chemicals.

So anyway, I would love to see a straight-forward recipe for a syndet shampoo bar or a link to a site where I can find one.

Thanks!
Jill

Old Today, 06:06 AM   #17
cherrycoke216

Liked 232 Times on 132 Posts

Default Shampoo bar

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=61840

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=61716

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=61512

Yup, it IS intimidating! And yes, I'm handling you threads. I'm no guru, too. So have been experimenting. I, too, wish there's a syndet shampoo bar fairy to guide my bumpy road.

The last thread I'm sharing on post #6 dahlia have post her recipe based on swift crafty monkey's. ( she added her side notes on Susan's formula )

I started with SLS because it's the only powdered surfactant available in smaller quantity in my country. People have tried SLSA and SCS in other countries. Susan tweak her formula from the Dish forum's contributor. ( sorry I don't go there, so forgot her name. ) it calls two surfactant or more because she wanted a milder shampoo bar. I use SLS and coco betaine ( can't remember the longer name ). And do wear a filter mask or aspirator!!! SLS powder is so fine, it easily gets in your lung. It is no joke and is health hazard substance.

And please anyone is a guru, or a more experienced syndet shampoo bar maker, or someone like me still learning, do stop by and chat with your experience.