Peat in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
So, at the bottom of my face cloth drawer I came upon a bar of Vetiver Peat soap from a company called Beekman's COPA soaps. They sell at the Philadelphia Flower Show , which makes this bar at least a year old.
"Beekman's Haitian Vetiver Oil has a strong, earthy aroma. We blend it with a bit of the Ol' Sod dug from Rahan Bog, County Offaly, to make an earthly delight, reminiscent of burning turf wafting through the Irish countryside. Beekman's Vetiver Peat is a truly grounding island combo from both sides of the Atlantic."
I'm sensing it's probably 30% each of the coconut olive and palm with the remaining 10% in sweet almond oil. All in all, pretty cleansing but didn't leave my skin tight.
What I'm amazed is the fragrance has stuck beautifully as well as the fact that these are nice sized bars retailing for 4 bucks each. Vetiver is not cheap. But the question is the peat part.
Any ideas about that gang?

"Beekman's Haitian Vetiver Oil has a strong, earthy aroma. We blend it with a bit of the Ol' Sod dug from Rahan Bog, County Offaly, to make an earthly delight, reminiscent of burning turf wafting through the Irish countryside. Beekman's Vetiver Peat is a truly grounding island combo from both sides of the Atlantic."
I love that description. Kudos to Beekman!
Your Q got me googling peat in cosmetics.... a 'bog body' inspired skincare trend! :twisted: Hmm...

Haven't try peat in soap, but have tried peat mask. It is very drawing, cleanse your pore kind of mask. Way stronger than kaolin clay. Probably more like bentonite clay.
And it is quite pricy. Probably because they have to filter it to avoid tiny rocks and such in your mask. And it's in a sorta pretty bottle ( compare to the swamp peat ) and also the marketing cost.

If you do try it, please report any findings and share photo with us. :p

I haven't used peat in soaps (but thanks for the thought!).

Sphagnum moss is an amazing thing, so it doesn't surprise me that it would help hold a scent (sphagnum moss peat will swell to about 5 times it's own size, if it's dry, when soaked in water).

Sphagnum was used in the wars as a bandaging material, because it also has anti-bacterial qualities (Anzac Day today for Aussie - I've been thinking about family who've served).

It struck me that peat would be mostly untouchable by the lye - most of the interaction should have been finished by the anaerobic decomposition process. Interesting!

Check out organic gardeners for cheaper sources - they nearly always have access to peat, unless they've converted to coconut fibres.

Latest posts

Back