What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not today but yesterday I rebatched (again) some of my crumbly soap which turned sky blue, so I decided to add a bit more water to make things fluid and poured some activated charcoal in a portion of the batter and went for an in the pot swirl. It made for a very dramatic effect on the top and I'm very pleased with the results.

I plan on taking a picture of my entry soap tonight.

After a pretty hard core flare-up I got to do some soaping. I didn't have enough salt for a full salt bar, so attempted a brine/salt water bar. I think some of the salt didn't end up dissolving (and I got air bubbles in the mold) but I'm looking forward to trying them in a month.

I attempted an in the pot swirl, which might have been more effective if I hadn't been pouring into individual molds, but I kind of like it anyway. It reminds me of white nectarines.

20170419_101511.jpg

20170419_101410.jpg

I've recently had a few regulars come to me and ask if I made "plainer" bars. After asking a few questions, and getting their feedback, I've (hopefully) determined that they're looking for a cleaner, less complicated looking soap that they would actually use instead of sit in a dish.
Now, I'm not a fancy soapmaker by any means...I seldom do imbeds, carving, soap dough, or small, fine work... I'm just not that good at at. I use fairly basic recipes, but I do like fancy tops and swirls.
So I've made some batches with fewer colors, simpler swirls and flatter swirled tops... 3 yesterday- Bamboo, Blood Orange, and Goji Berry Bliss.
I feel like I cheated...lol...took me half the time it normally does, but I think they came out ok.

bamboo.jpg

goji berry bliss.jpg

blood orange.jpg

I've recently had a few regulars come to me and ask if I made "plainer" bars. After asking a few questions, and getting their feedback, I've (hopefully) determined that they're looking for a cleaner, less complicated looking soap that they would actually use instead of sit in a dish....

I get the same feedback. My people, meaning the people I make soap for (I don't sell my soap yet, still honing the craft at 5 years in), want a real bar of soap that they can actually use in the bath or shower. Having said that, I LOVE to see the creativity of others' soaps. I am fascinated by soap of all kinds!

I had someone tell me they were sitting on a pretty bar of soap and I told them that HAD TO USE IT!!! That's what soap is for and if they didn't use it, how would they ever get another pretty bar to look at before rotating it into the shower? If they don't use them, I've got no people to give away to. Using pretty makes way for more pretty.

I had someone tell me they were sitting on a pretty bar of soap and I told them that HAD TO USE IT!!! That's what soap is for and if they didn't use it, how would they ever get another pretty bar to look at before rotating it into the shower? If they don't use them, I've got no people to give away to. Using pretty makes way for more pretty.

I have had to make the same speech to all my coworkers I have given soap to. I lay the guilt trip on pretty thick.

"I was really down the other day - I really wish I could have made some soap to cheer me up. But my curing rack is full and no one is using what I have given them..." followed by a big sigh and sad look.

Works on all the ladies in the office at least.

aihrat, I am curious about the slicer.

This is the slicer that ruined the soap I wanted to send for the Home swap. The problem with it is the cutter. I couldn't tighten it enough to get clean straight cuts and the wire broke on first try. It was almost elastic in a strange way. It kept on stretching until it broke. My only experience with wire cutters is the single bar cutter from Bud which I've used without any problems since I got it.

I wanted to to ask BB to fix it thinking it was a one time thing but somebody else had posted having the same problem with their cutter. I didn't bother contacting BB. I wished I bought the Bud log splitter instead which is what I'll probably end up doing.

Back to hearing about what everybody else is doing.

This is the slicer that ruined the soap I wanted to send for the Home swap. The problem with it is the cutter. I couldn't tighten it enough to get clean straight cuts and the wire broke on first try. It was almost elastic in a strange way. It kept on stretching until it broke. My only experience with wire cutters is the single bar cutter from Bud which I've used without any problems since I got it.

I wanted to to ask BB to fix it thinking it was a one time thing but somebody else had posted having the same problem with their cutter. I didn't bother contacting BB. I wished I bought the Bud log splitter instead which is what I'll probably end up doing.

Back to hearing about what everybody else is doing.

Argh, that sounds horrible. I also had problems tightening the string, and had to manually tuck the string in with pliers.

I may have had better luck because my soaps start out soft (no palm, tallow or PKO and low coconut), and I cut right after I unmould. But for harder soaps I imagine this would be a nightmare to use. Imagine making a beautiful soap, only for it to be ruined during cutting!

I hope you can still find some use in the cutter with a better string...sorry to hear you had such a horrible time with it Soapmaker145 :(

Today I tried to rebatch some soap I made without citrate. Added citrate to the soap shreds and put it in the oven for a bit.

I hate rebatching.

Happy Accidents

Last night I played with more glycerin soap, and attempted a new technique. After unmolding and cutting into the soap, I discovered there was an air bubble in it that goes all the way through the loaf!

Since some of the other soaps are Alice in Wonderland, I decided to call this my "Keyhole Soap."

IMG_20170427_055727_858.jpg

Last night I played with more glycerin soap, and attempted a new technique. After unmolding and cutting into the soap, I discovered there was an air bubble in it that goes all the way through the loaf!

Since some of the other soaps are Alice in Wonderland, I decided to call this my "Keyhole Soap."

How did that happen?! I'm pretty sure that's a rare phenomenon! Pretty cool "fail!"

After unmolding and cutting into the soap, I discovered there was an air bubble in it that goes all the way through the loaf!

Brilliant, Kaye! There's nothing better than finding a way to "turn lemons into lemonade." Atta girl. I luv the look of those holey bars...

I hope you can still find some use in the cutter with a better string...sorry to hear you had such a horrible time with it Soapmaker145 :(

I hate rebatching.

I finally bought strings from Nurture soaps to replace the broken one. I hadn't wanted to deal with BB and waste more time since the flaw is in the material they used. I can already see the new string is much better quality.

I hate rebatching too. It is easier to recycle. When I rebatch, I add sugar solution and propylene glycol to make the rebatch similar to M&P. People seem to really like them.

Finalized the stamp order with my logo on it. Ordered soap dough to play with until I have time to mess with making my own. Loaded the car for tomorrow's show. Mailed orders out. Updated the website for out of stock and to include the relocation/temp closing info. Played with my cream soap experiment. An odds and ends kind of day.

My dearly beloved is out of town this weekend, so it's been a soap-a-rama here since he left yesterday. I feel so naughty when I can leave all my supplies out and not be in anybody's way. I haven't done anything I'm "supposed" to do, only things I "want" to do. Which means soap. And that means we'll have enough soap for the two of us until we die. Or until I give it away so I can make more soap. I wonder if I'll be able to sleep tonight knowing I have 6 loaves to cut into tomorrow. Pics to follow tomorrow!

Beveler

EEEEEK! I got a new planer/beveller that I've been toying with this morning. I think I hear angels singing and that this is my favorite thing ever! What a difference it makes!

I'd like to get one of these too. May I ask where you got yours?

Latest posts

Back