Note to self: seal pvc pipe end better, need a laugh?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

styarr

Reaction score
Got some PVC pipe yesterday for embeds/general fun. Decided to make a small batch to use in an upcoming soap. Got it all planned, had the recipe, all prepared and then I pulled a stupid. I decided that sealing the end of the PVC pipe with parchment paper and tape was a good idea. Got my soap all done (smallest batch I've ever made, couldn't even fit my hand mixer in so had to do it by hand), swirled it all nice and poured it into the mold. Started cleaning up and looked, and soap is leaking out of the bottom.
Now, most people might admit defeat here and simply pour it into another mold, but no, I was deadset on getting this right. So I yell to my hubby to come help me as I pour out the remaining soap (at least I had the foresight to sit in the pipe in a container haha). Got soap everywhere as I'm struggling to get the now heavy, slimey parchment and tape off the end. Finally got it sealed with plastic wrap and a rubber band (which is holding). But my swirls are gone, there is less soap in the mold then I originally had and it took a while to clean up the kitchen. LOL, what a mess! I'm sure it will be fun to get it out of the mold later...
Hope you had a laugh, I'm sure I'll have a good one about it eventually :p
(ps no worries, precautions were taken, gloves, long sleeves, eyegear etc)

You can buy a cap for PVC pipe.
Or you can try and find a can that fits the end just about exactly.
You still use plastic wrap to seal the end of the pipe then fit it in the can.

I screw the can to a solid piece of timber so the mold stays vertical while it saponifies.

I screw the can to a solid piece of timber so the mold stays vertical while it saponifies.

Great ideas thank you!!

There's one good thing about making a mistake like this. If someone tells you the story of how it happened to them, it will make an impression, but if you do it, and are the one who has to clean up all that mess.....you are very unlikely to ever do it again! I know this because my go to round molds are Crystal Lite containers. After cutting off the bottom, I use the lid as the bottom, so I can later remove it, and push the soap out. The first time I did this, I poured the soap into the containers, put my pot in the sink, and then decided to move the containers to the end of the kitchen counter, so I picked them up, one in each hand and.....oh yes, the bottoms just fell off, and I had soap all over the counter. And since then, I always use some duct tape to keep the bottoms on. Mistakes are excellent teachers!
icon_biggrin.gif

My 3" PVC mold has a rubber "boot" that seals with a hose clamp. Dig around in the PVC sections at a big hardware store, you'll find something. And yes, I've forgotten to tighten it as well :p

Oooh good ideas! I'm a bit confused about the can - what type of can? Not sure how a can could be screwed? Or do you use a drill to put a screw through the bottom of the can?

This idea may make me pull my PVC pipes out. Those caps fit on well but they are HARD to get off! Plus the mold is all slippery so you can't get a grip on anything.

So many good ideas thanks!
Now I'm struggling with getting it out haha! I put it in the freezer overnight and was able to get it down to the opening, but here is the kicker, it's only 1 1/4" wide, thought it would be fun for embeds and stuff, haha, it's super narrow and 12" long (and lacking several inches of soap that ended up on the counter and everywhere else). Finally found something to fit in there but no more budging. Sigh lol. I put it back in the freezer and will try again later on.

People do it, with some finagling I believe. But I wouldn't know because I didn't line it haha! Just adding to my epic fail.

Roll the paper into a cylinder and slip it into the tube. Let the rolled up paper relax to fit the tube. Easy.

Yes freezer paper! I will be doing that next time lol
I got my soap out! It was a battle but I did it. I ended up putting some paper tape around the tube to get a good grip on it and used a random lid and a screwdriver to push it out lol. Wasn't super pretty coming out, I need to sand the cut edge better to get rid of some spots. I ended up rolling it into soap balls so it will still fit the project I have in mind.

Oooh good ideas! I'm a bit confused about the can - what type of can? Not sure how a can could be screwed? Or do you use a drill to put a screw through the bottom of the can?

This idea may make me pull my PVC pipes out. Those caps fit on well but they are HARD to get off! Plus the mold is all slippery so you can't get a grip on anything.

Sorry I've been as away.
I use any can - bean can, pineapple can - anything that fits the pipe tightly.
You can screw the can from the inside onto a timber board so it stands up.

Sometimes I line them, sometimes I don't. If I line them I use cheap ultra thin silicone cooking mat cut to exactly fit the inside diameter of the tube but a bit longer than the tube so I can pull them out using the silicone.

Back