Advice needed on how to calm down musk sweetness

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Reaction score
I only use EOs in soaps and lotions, but decided I wanted to give a couple of natural fragrance oils a try. One of the ones I got is a musk. It is extremely sweet - like headache inducing type of sweet. Does anyone have any ideas what EO might pair well with it to help tone it down its intense sweetness? One of the citruses, perhaps? Or something more in the woody family such as fir or cedarwood? Or...?

Amber, patchouli and vanilla are three FOs that blend well with musk

Thank you, lsg, I appreciate your input. I don't use synthetic FOs and the natural FO purchase I just made that included the musk was my first, as well as my last, so I was looking for EO answers. I do have the patchouli EO so will try that. Thank you!

Thank you, lsg, I appreciate your input. I don't use synthetic FOs and the natural FO purchase I just made that included the musk was my first, as well as my last, so I was looking for EO answers. I do have the patchouli EO so will try that. Thank you!

I am not sure what your definition of natural is, but FO's have lab synthesized ingredients. This is not bad - there are some scents you can not get without a lab.

I am not sure what your definition of natural is, but FO's have lab synthesized ingredients. This is not bad - there are some scents you can not get without a lab.

We have no way of knowing if a FO is bad or not since the labs making them will not say what chemicals are in them. We cannot make a judgement about something if we do not know what it is comprised of. For me, if a product has unknown chemicals that I am considering putting in something that is going on my or someone else's skin, the largest organ of our body, whether in the form of lotion or soap, I will not use it. Why would I take the chance? There are too many carcinogenic chemicals out there and too many chemicals negatively affecting the immune system. It's just not worth it (to me). Not all lab-made things are terrible, but there is no way of knowing what is in FOs, so don't know if they are harmful or not.
As far as EOs, I know what chemicals comprises each one and so can make an educated decision on whether or not I want to add it to my products.
We also need to keep in mind that not only do the scent oils reach the skin, whether synthetic or authentic, but they reach the nose, too. Every time we smell something, we are doing so because particles of that substance have reached our olfactory sensory nerves inside our nose. That means they have entered our bodies, and often get into the blood stream. I want to know what I am letting in my or my family's bodies as much as I can.
But I am also someone who reads labels on all the food we buy, and someone who does not consume things with artificial colors or flavors. I am a purist that way. So to put an artificial scent in something I am handcrafting would go against my way of life, in general. I also would never use any of the artificially scented candles, plug-ins, etc. To each their own, however, and I am not preaching. I love that we can all make our own choices. :)

Back