Face Scrub

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Triethenolamine, also often seen as TEA, is an emulsifier, but nothing I would personally use. From what I have read, it can be known to cause allergic reactions, and it has toxicity issues in regard to aquatic life, and it does end up down the drain; (there are also some other studies about it that get kind of ugly.)

DMDM Hydantoin is a preservative that is a formaldehyde releaser, not something I care to use, but I see it in far too many products.

I made an all natural face face scrub three years ago, there is no water included, only carrier oil and it only started to separate after a couple of years, with no adverse odor from the oil being that old. It's a weird one, but I can share it if you'd like, you could at least see what I did. I still use it on my face with wonderful results.

Yes please! It would be interesting to try out various options

I have someone near and dear to me who is recovering from radiation treatment. An OTC skin cream (aloe based) with 0.5% allantoin has helped soothe and encourage healing of his lingering skin damage. It's not a miracle ingredient, but the damaged skin is much happier protected with the allantoin cream than with any other products he's tried. I've purchased some allantoin (and panthenol) to try in my lotions.

I randomly came across a recipe on Swifty Crafty Monkey that utilized these ingredients while I was researching body butter emulsions for myself. I realize that you are experienced with body products and are likely to be comfortable going off-book in formulating your own recipe. However, I thought that I might pass it along in case it was helpful as a reference or sparked new ideas.

Normally, I would PM the information to avoid hijacking the post. Since others had expressed an interest in the Mederma...it seemed prudent to share with the class :D. I've pasted the recipe below, but more information can be found in the original blog post here: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/01/formulating-with-oils-body-butter.html

MODIFIED BODY BUTTER FOR ITCHY, WINTER SKIN

WATER PHASE
25% aloe vera liquid
25% lavender or chamomile hydrosol
2% hydrolyzed protein
3% sodium PCA
0.5% allantoin

OIL PHASE
15% shea butter
10% oils - 6% sea buckthorn oil, 4% soybean oil
6% BTMS
3% cetyl alcohol
2% IPM

COOL DOWN PHASE
2% panthenol
2% cyclomethicone
2% dimethicone
0.5% to 1.5% preservative
1% fragrance oil

A note on the emulsifier: I've chosen to use 6% BTMS. If you want to use e-wax or Polawax, you would want to use 1/4 of the oil phase, which is 34%, meaning you need 8.5% emulsifier.
Save
Save

Last edited:
Yes please! It would be interesting to try out various options

I did warn you that it was a weird recipe -- I can't find my notes on amounts though, just the ingredients. I wasn't going anywhere with it at the time, I mean, it turned out looking like dark (Pacific coast) sand, only a bit finer, and it was just for personal use. It turns out a medium brown color. The extra amount I had after putting some in sealed plastic bags started get a little runny after several months (could be from using it or not airtight) -- but, the "sand" in the packets is still looking the same -- like slightly dampened sand.

So, here's what I used while toying with this "sand scrub" --

Extra-fine sugar
Sugar
Baking Soda
Star of Anise Powder
Cornstarch
Calcium Bentonite Clay
Apricot Kernel Oil
Juniper Berry Glycerite
Himalayan Pink Salt
Peppermint e/o

~~~
I think any herbal powders could have been used; the scent is somewhere between anise and juniper with a hint of mint.

Thanks for the link, Makemineirish -- anything Susan shares is good inspiration, and this recipe definitely will help me.

I would really like to know your face scrub recipe. I make make tiny amounts of perishable scrubs once in a while but it would be great to have one that lasts for a bit longer!

Edit: I forgot I had this page open on the desktop for so long. lol. Thank you for sharing! Sounds like it smells wonderful :)

Last edited:
I use allantoin at 0.5 in all my lotions and facial creams, water phase to dissolve it, Honeyquat is wonderful humectant but must be added at cool phase :) It will not smell fishy then.

Latest posts

Back