CPOP: Cold Process Oven Process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basia

Reaction score
I've never heard of CPOP soap before, hovewer, I am very new (about one month) to CP soap. Could someone explain this process please?

From what I understand, CPOP is cold process soap, but when you're done you put it in an oven overnight to get some of the moisture out of it. The oven is set to 170 degrees then turned off when it is preheated. You just put the soap in there, you're not trying to cook it at all. The point is to get it to saponify faster.

CPOP is pretty much how melstan775 described it. Basically, the oven takes the place of covering with towels or blankets. It helps to force the gel phase so the batch takes less time to saponify. Also, you don't end up with a partially gelled batch which can sometimes occur when only using a towel or blanket for insulation.

I want to mention CPOP only helps with saponification. It is not a substitute for curing. Although, it may slightly shorten the curing period because of the evaporation of some water while in the oven.

I do that regurly but only with soaps that contain no or only a little sugery ingredients like goat milk or honey. I keep temperature between 140-160 and leave the oven on for 5-6 hours. Then I take the soap out and cover it with towels and a blanket.

Last edited:
So your loaf sits in the oven for about 6 hr. while the oven is on? Is your loaf covered up or not?

That is a LONG time to leave the soap in the warm oven - I would be very afraid of getting overheated soap keeping it that warm for that long. At most, I leave my oven on 170 for 1 hour while the soap is in and just leave the soap in there while the oven cools. I never get partial gel when I do that.

I do it the same as VanessaP. I leave the oven on for 1 hour, turn it off and leave the soap in the oven for several hours but I prefer to leave them in it overnight. If I have to take the soap out, I wrap the molds in towels for insulation.

I like to use parchment baking paper to cover the molds. Last night, I had to use freezer paper with the shiny side up because I forgot to buy more parchment paper. It worked out fine.

So your loaf sits in the oven for about 6 hr. while the oven is on? Is your loaf covered up or not?

Yes, I cover it with some seran wrap. Uncoverd the soap forms little bubbles on top like these:

IMAG0197.jpg

How long do you have to cure the CPOP soap once is out of the oven and when is it safe to use it? :eh:

Soap is safe to use as long as all the lye has reacted and the soap doesn't zap. Just remember it's not at it's best and may be a little harsh feeling or drying on your skin. However, curing allows for more water evaporation, lather improves (more dense & bubbly) and for the soap to become milder. I notice a difference in 2 weeks but I still cure soap for at least 4 weeks to make sure excess water has evaporated and the soap has "hardened".

I'd say it's personal preference. If you're a bit impatient, perhaps try a bar at 2 weeks and see how it is and how it holds up in the shower. If it seems soft and is used up quickly then you know it does need a longer curing time. I don't recommend a 2 week cure normally but I can understand how hard it is to wait to test a bar. If you're going to give the soap as a gift or sell it, I strongly recommend at least a 4 week curing time. I cure soap for at least 4 weeks. I tested a regular gelled 4+ oz bar which had cured for 4 weeks and it lasted a month for me. However, I didn't use the bar every day but I used it at least 5 days every week.

Thank you Guys for all the information, is has been helpful :idea:

Basia

Unfortunately my oven does not have a setting for 170F, so when I do CPOP, I turn the oven on to "warm" which is below 200F, and as soon as I put the soap in the oven I turn the oven off. If I leave the oven on for even half an hour my soap will overcook, so your mileage may vary depending on your recipe and your oven. I also leave the soap in until the oven is completely cool, usually overnight.

I preheat to 170 and then turn off, put the soap in within its log mold, and let it sit overnight, sometimes 24 hours (i usually soap in the evenings after the kids are in bed). I soap 100% goats milk but have not had any problems doing it this way. I do spray the soap top with 90% rubbing alcohol before it goes in the oven, though.

I have been doing cpop recently because I have had problems with getting my soap to even saponify in the bitter cold of Wisconsin. I know I will have gel with the cpop. I just have oven on 170 for an hour or two then turn off.

Latest posts

Back