poor scent throw ....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellogorgeous

Reaction score
So I've just started playing with wax and this is a total newbie question. I have some Ecosoya PB Pillar Soy wax that I used to make tarts with. Well ... they're less than stellar.I used .25 oz of FO to 3 oz of wax. (so 1.25oz pp wax - 8%). They hardly smell at all once melted. What am I doing wrong?

What fo is it? Or is it all fo's that you're using? What temp are you adding your fo at?
I always found that candles & melts, especially in soy, benefited from a week or so of curing. They always smell strong to me at least.

It's all fo's .... I tried blueberry cheesecake, pumpkin spice, christmas cabin, and a few others all from NG. The instructions I had said to melt the wax to 180, add fo, stir slowly for a couple mins to make sure fo and wax are combined, cool to 130 and pour. They've been done for about 3 weeks now.

Hmm..I've always added the fo at the cool down part. Otherwise the heat seems to burn off the fo.
Also, I believe that adding fo at 8% for that wax is more than the wax's maximum. I think Ecosoya PB Pillar's maximum is only 6%. Which oddly enough, having too much fo can decrease the scent throw.

Ok maybe I'll try during the cool down. I heard that the "burning off" of the fragrance at high temps is a myth ... can't remember where I read that. I looked up the website I got the wax from - voyageur candle - and it says max of 12%. Maybe I'll try another batch doing 6% and 10% and see if there's a difference. Thanks Genny!

Back