Soap Paint?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunflwrgrl7

Reaction score
This might be a weird question, but does anyone know how to make soap paint? As in stuff you can paint on MP soap, and it stays fairly well. I know they sell soap paints if I can't make it, but it's one of those things I thought I want to look into making myself...

I've never made them. I did once buy a base mix for paint for soap and candles. You were supposed to mix it with acrilic(sp?) paint equal parts. I didn't care for it much, regular acrilic paints seemed to work smoother anyway. So it was a wasted $5. I wonder what would happen though, if you mixed a soft base with some acrilic paint how that would work? Or if they would even mix.

hmmmmm. maybe i could experiment!

what type of effects do the soap paints have on skin/soap ??? im a little wary of using something i could paint a surfboard with on my skin as well :shock: makes me sorta nervous!

Well Ian, I don't think painting your surfboard with acrilic paint (craft paint) would work very well. I believe all that (salt) water would just wash it right off! :wink:
It's non-toxic--kids use it all the time. I only used this mixture once to paint some leaves on an "embossed" type MP soap. Like I said, though, I don't think it worked very well.
I have SEEN, though, others with painted soaps that look very lovely....just don't know how they do it. :cry:

ohh forgot to add i do glass over it with fiberglass, but my point is the color says quiiiite along time!!...

ive seen some absolutely beautiful painted soaps (like the rock ones that were posted a little while back that looked like jade, and amethyst crystals..)

Id love to learn how they did it , and if it was reallllly safe for skin and such...just a little wary on trying things until i know everything under the sun about it :)

WSP has soap paint, I assume it's body safe, and I think it might be from Milky Way. I'm not sure about acrylic paints. Seems like that would just come off in paint chunks when you use the soap. I guess finger paints should be body safe, but not sure how they would stick to the soap.

I didn't think about it before, but what if I melt down a little soap base and add alot of pigment, and try to paint with that? Would require constant remelting, but I wonder how that would work? Hmmmm. Must conduct experiments.... :)

or you could keep it on one of those candle warmers that keeps them in a liquid state??! that might be sufficient!

:)

I think im going to try MP at some point, but id like to get CP down pat first...Im relatively confident now but i want to really get more batches under my belt...like at least 100 before i venture off into other things in the bath/body realm :)

sorry to take it a little off topic, but thanks for the link and do you think that those molds would work for CP too?>?

aha :oops: :oops: guess im a bit blind lol

not the first time that happened either!

thank you very much!

Thanks, Martin! I know several places to find commercially manufactured soap paints, I was just trying to see if it was possible to do a safe homemade alternative. :)

i bet you could mix mica with a small amount of water to make a paste. or some alcohol? vodka? something that is going to evaporate and dry.

let me see if i can steal a brush from my darling and give it a try...

oh yes! it works. i used rum and blue mica. i only had Q tip so it looks goofy. the trick to get a decent color is to start with a tiny bit of alcohol. like tsp and add a pinch of mica then adjust as needed. i am trying to upload pics....

well look at that!...whats that quote they say...with in invention lays ingenuity or something like that??

where theres a will theres a way!!

Im going to have to give this a try, I wonder if it would work with clays too?? Im wary on micas just because of some of the research that has been posted on prolonged use and such..and things susan miller has said about them...but thats just me, im really cautious about what Im using but I dont know an overwhelming amount about micas yet...

Latest posts

Back