soap making books

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_ali

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new at cp soap making and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about what books they found useful about cp soap making. I hear Melinda Coss is pretty good? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I found the Melinda Coss book great for getting started, and from that start I've been making up formulas on soap calc.

i have 6 that i got from the library. the only one i really liked was "the soapmakers companion" by susan miller cavitch. She has a couple others out but they are smaller and not as detailed as the above.

You can find everything thats in the books online though. I found the books to be pretty limited in info.

be careful if you are ordering online b/c i found that 3 or 4 of the books i checked out were not really cp books. Most were explaining how to grate soap to form new products.

happy soaping

this is my first post here:) i just found this forum. i have been making soap along time...before the internet;) hehe susans book is great...it is one i own...but quite honestly...you will probably find mroe info here:) i have been soaping for quite awhile and i found some great tip here you would never find in any book:)

hello by the way:) great group here:)

:)crystal

I like the new book by Sally Trew and Zonella Gould - The Complete Idiot's Guide to Making Natural Soaps. It covers Hot and Cold Process, Melt & Pour, Goatmilk soap, Liquid soap, FOs & EOs, oil properties, CPOP, how to use Soapcalc.net, molds, colorings, and more!

I have both of Anne Watson's books (regular CP and milk soapmaking), and really liked them both. They were what I used to make my first batches of both types. I think they are called Smart Soapmaking and Milk Soapmaking. They are great for laying things out step by step, and have tried and true recipes. For Christmas I got The Everything Soapmaking Book (don't remember the author), and used it to make my first HP batch. I don't know if it would be the best choice for a complete beginner, but if you have a few batches under your belt, it is great. All of my soaps have turned out well (knock on wood, I know my comeuppance is coming!). Finally, to make some cute things for my students, I bought Soapylove, which is about taking melt and pour to fun places. I would recommend all of them.

Lyn said:
I found Soap Naturally written by Patriza Garzena and Marina Tadiello a fantastic book to start with
ditto! It doesn't have many recipes, but it's very clear and has loads of useful information.
Melinda Coss' one is good too, but Soap Naturally helps you understand what happens and why it happens, so that once you get familiar with the process, it gets much easier to make up your own recipes.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back