SMF April 2017 Challenge-Stripes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"*You cannot just make a two layer soap and claim a stripe. Come on now!
" lololololololol

1. earlene - so much fun!
2. doriettefarm - you guys must have ESP . . . I was hoping for something stripe-y since that's what I'm making today!
3. dibbles - hmmm...thinking, thinking...
4. Misschief - keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have time this month
5. beardguy - i love stripes
6. CaraBou - At attention!
7. Soapprentice - will be out of station till 16th, so lot of time to plan (hopefully)
8. Battle Gnome - still hoping to find soaping time. Fingers crossed
9. SaltedFig - has ideas!
10. makemineirish -
11. Redhead - As long as they dont need to be straight! lol
12. jules92207 - Oh I love it! The one time stripes won't make me look fat!
13. Arimara- I have a great idea for this. I just need shea butter and PKO flakes...
14. Steve85569 - I might have time. And pastels are for spring, right?
15. toxikon - I know just what to do with my new Nurture micas!
16. amd - any excuse to get started on soapy wedding favors!
17. nikkisessence - maybe a rainbow. Can't wait to try this!
18 SunRiseArts - I already have an idea in my head.

Dandelion pour?? Oh dear. Off to the Google Machine I go...

I had not heard of it either. It seems to be a variation of the Zebra swirl, if my Googling got me the same results. Amy Warden had a Great Cakes Soapworks Challenge based on that technique in 2013. If anyone is interested, here is a link to the Dandelion Zebra Swirl challenge thread on her blog.

Dandelion Seifee is the originator of that swirl. I posted a picture of one of hers from her blog. She makes gorgeous soap.

http://dandelionseifee.blogspot.co.at/2013/02/dandelion-seifen-im-januar-2013.html

I looked for a video by her but I can't find one that I know for certain is hers. This is a just over 3 min video of the technique though.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pmMDae9klE[/ame]

dandelion.jpg

2. doriettefarm - you guys must have ESP . . . I was hoping for something stripe-y since that's what I'm making today!
7. Soapprentice - will be out of station till 16th, so lot of time to plan (hopefully)
10. makemineirish -
13. Arimara- I have a great idea for this. I just need shea butter and PKO flakes...
19. SheLion - Got a brand spanking-new SB that needs broken in!

I came up with a design and made a batch of soap yesterday. Yes, before I even entered. Cart before horse and all. Sadly, the execution of my design was a complete fail. However, if all of my design fails come out like this, I'm ok with that.

IMAG0293.jpg

10. makemineirish -
20. KristaY - Thankfully they don't have to be straight since I can barely walk a straight line let alone soap a straight line.....

That doesn't look like any kind of failure, SheLion! I'm thinking it's very patriotic, 4th of July, soap.:)

It was a fail in that I was trying to do stripes. :(

That's funny, when I cut it, my husband said it looked like 4th of July soap too. That wasn't planned, I just happened to think that the pink and blue micas looked good together. I added snowflake sparkle to the white but otherwise left it uncolored because it's 100% CO so it was going to be white all on its own.

Very beautiful soap SheLion. I like the simple design and the contrast between the colours.

10. makemineirish -
20. KristaY - Thankfully they don't have to be straight since I can barely walk a straight line let alone soap a straight line.....
21. Omneya - I hope this kick starts my mojo, I need it and I am excited to participate

Well, I watched about a dozen youtube videos on how to make striped soap and I learned that it's a bit harder than I thought:

2wdvn5z.jpg

I like it anyway, but it's not what I was shooting for. I did wait 3-4 minutes after pouring each layer, but the bottom black layer is the only one that didn't have the top layer breaking through. I did pour slowly over a spatula.

I did leave it in the warm oven and I used vinegar and it unmolded really easily. It didn't zap after 24 hours, so I cut it, but the surface texture is still a bit rough. Maybe I should have waited longer ? I think a wirecutter and a planer are in my future anyway.

It looks like you may have a bit of crackle but hard to tell for sure from the picture. The spot I see the best that looks rough looks like it was a bit soft for cutting. If it's too hard, it tends to fracture at the edges of the cut rather than get that crumbly look. Still it's a good first go. Flat straight stripes can be very difficult to get.

It looks like you may have a bit of crackle but hard to tell for sure from the picture. The spot I see the best that looks rough looks like it was a bit soft for cutting. If it's too hard, it tends to fracture at the edges of the cut rather than get that crumbly look. Still it's a good first go. Flat straight stripes can be very difficult to get.

I'll try waiting longer next time. I had a soap crumble on me early on due to waiting too long to cut, and I was using vinegar to harden, so I tried cutting earlier.

10. makemineirish -
21. Omneya - I hope this kick starts my mojo, I need it and I am excited to participate
22. mommycarlson -

Latest posts

Back