Chlorella Tea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying a technique I haven't used since 2005 to see if I can replicate the results. I made a tea with distilled water and powdered chlorella, strained it through a coffee filter, then mixed in the NaOH. Like before, the tea was a very pale green color, and when I made this soap back in 2005 I didn't think there'd be any color visible in the final bars. To my surprise, after curing the color of the final bars was a gorgeous pink.

I'll take photos after I slice this back, then again in four weeks after they've cured, then post them to the photo gallery.

Has anyone else used this coloring technique?

Very cool! Is the PH thing affecting color? Or other additive in the powder makes it pink? ;)

Interesting! Thanks for sharing! Now I'm wondering just where does one purchase chlorella powder??? I'm also wondering if you infused it in the soap oils, before adding the lye, whether it would produce the same result???

Here are the results. (Finally!) The picture of the batch was taken March 8 right after I cut the soap into bars. As you can see, the soap at that time was the color of linen I thought that perhaps the technique wouldn't produce the peach color I had created before. But after curing for six weeks, you can see the final bars definitely have are a beautiful peachy tone. The edges of the soap have a faint green hue, but the edges quickly wear down and the peach color seems to intensify a bit as the bar is used. I don't know any other natural technique to achieve this color.

I scented this batch with clary sage and lemongrass essential oils and love the result.

Cut Bars.jpg

Soap 1.jpg

Chlorella powder

Interesting! Thanks for sharing! Now I'm wondering just where does one purchase chlorella powder??? I'm also wondering if you infused it in the soap oils, before adding the lye, whether it would produce the same result???

I purchase chlorella powder from a natural foods store. It's in the section with bulk herbs and spices.

I'm pretty sure that infusing the chlorella into the oils will yield a green soap. I add chlorella at trace when I want a to create a batch of green soap. You have to be a bit careful as a little goes a long way and if you add too much, the result can be a dark army-green color (that I don't find very attractive). I usually mix white kaolin clay in with the chlorella to try to create a paler green tone.

I purchase chlorella powder from a natural foods store. It's in the section with bulk herbs and spices. I'm pretty sure that infusing the chlorella into the oils will yield a green soap. I add chlorella at trace when I want a to create a batch of green soap. You have to be a bit careful as a little goes a long way and if you add too much, the result can be a dark army-green color (that I don't find very attractive). I usually mix white kaolin clay in with the chlorella to try to create a paler green tone.
Good info. Thanks! Luv, luv, luv your soaps. Such a lovely color!

Latest posts

Back