Additive Usage Rate List (PPO)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using 2 heaping tbs sugar for my 3.5 lb oil batches. After reading this I think I am going to try upping that amount to 4tbs per batch.

Question: can you add sugar to your salt bars? Will it work the same in a salt bar adding more bublage?

How does one go about adding sugar or salt to soap? Do you dissolve in the water? Could you not dissolve them and use them as exfoliants ( if they don't dissolve during the cook). If sugar makes more bubbles what does salt do? Thanks in advance!

If you'd like to dissolve your salt or sugar just add it to your water and let it dissolve, then add your lye.

You can add 30-100% salt directly to your oils/batter as well. That makes a "salt bar". It doesn't really exfoliate but it will be a nice hard silky bar. Because salt inhibits lather most people use a high coconut oil recipe with salt bars.

Adding sugar directly to your batter makes a spongey bar. I'm not entirely sure what the other benefits may be, I've never tried it myself. Others might chime in!

If you'd like to dissolve your salt or sugar just add it to your water and let it dissolve, then add your lye.

You can add 30-100% salt directly to your oils/batter as well. That makes a "salt bar". It doesn't really exfoliate but it will be a nice hard silky bar. Because salt inhibits lather most people use a high coconut oil recipe with salt bars.

Adding sugar directly to your batter makes a spongey bar. I'm not entirely sure what the other benefits may be, I've never tried it myself. Others might chime in!

Salt adds to the bar's hardness and sugar increases bubbles. Both have to be dissolved in water before lye is added to get the stated benefits

I add the sugar to the water (or aloe vera juice, in my case) and let it dissolve completely before adding the lye. I've been trying powdered sugar for my last 2 batches thinking that the powder would dissolve better/faster than the granulated sugar but I'm seeing the opposite; the powder dissolves slower. The last little bit of powdered sugar dissolves only after the lye generates the heat. That being said, I don't notice any crystallization of the undissolved powdered sugar when the lye is added. I've poured the lye water through a strainer to make sure and so far nothing.
I can't comment about salt as I've never used it.

How does one go about adding sugar or salt to soap? Do you dissolve in the water? Could you not dissolve them and use them as exfoliants ( if they don't dissolve during the cook). If sugar makes more bubbles what does salt do? Thanks in advance!

I add the sugar to the water (or aloe vera juice, in my case) and let it dissolve completely before adding the lye. I've been trying powdered sugar for my last 2 batches thinking that the powder would dissolve better/faster than the granulated sugar but I'm seeing the opposite; the powder dissolves slower. The last little bit of powdered sugar dissolves only after the lye generates the heat. That being said, I don't notice any crystallization of the undissolved powdered sugar when the lye is added. I've poured the lye water through a strainer to make sure and so far nothing.
I can't comment about salt as I've never used it.

Blame the cornstarch. part of the reason why you have to cook any pastry cream or some custards is because cornstarch needs heat to do its thing, generally speaking. At the very least you would need very warm water to at least start dissolving powdered sugar. It's easier just to use the regular granulated sugar (personal theory).

Do you notice a differences with bars that have powdered sugar vs regular sugar?

You could also use oat milk or hemp milk instead of water.

And I believe I read somewhere about adding rice flour to give a nice, silky feel to the lather.

Was that IrishLass?

Thanks for the insight. I didn't know that. The verdict is still out and I plan to make a few more batches before I can say that there is a difference between the granulated and powdered. Though, if I had to venture a guess as of now... no difference.

Blame the cornstarch. part of the reason why you have to cook any pastry cream or some custards is because cornstarch needs heat to do its thing, generally speaking. At the very least you would need very warm water to at least start dissolving powdered sugar. It's easier just to use the regular granulated sugar (personal theory).

Do you notice a differences with bars that have powdered sugar vs regular sugar?

It would be better to create a Google doc that everyone can access. That way it can be updated without editing your original post. Something like the Fragrance Oil Review thread/link.

It would be better to create a Google doc that everyone can access. That way it can be updated without editing your original post. Something like the Fragrance Oil Review thread/link.

Aha, great idea Susie. I haven't used Google Docs before but I will take a look at it.

Sugar likes water and will make soap softer when added to the oils. It also may not dissolve in a low water recipe and will be scratchy. In high water soaps it can make for an interesting effect.
I would use vinegar water in such a recipe myself.

Don't ask how I learned that lesson...

thanks for putting this together toxicon :) looking forward to editing the version on Google Docs!

Avocado Puree: 1-2oz PPO (adjust superfat as needed)

don't know if citric acid has been mentioned here yet.....but it's 1-3% PPO plus (citric acid weight)*0.624 extra NaOH. similar benefits to sodium citrate.

(definitely agree with the recommended amounts for sugar, but if anyone is interested...you can go up to 14% soap weight honey in a recipe [around 17-20% ppo]. the soap will set well and have good texture if you use hard oils. the resultant soap isn't spongy like sugar but quite thirsty, and makes terrific, abundant, tiny bubbles. you can either put the honey in the lye water without any other prep [via IrishLass], or you can put the honey in the oils and freeze individual cavity moulds)

Confused about the citric acid and extra Naoh for reducing soap scum/hard water and adding bubbles. Please help. Is there a formula? Edited: Making a new post. Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back