what other ingredients have you used to increase lather

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Getting the most lather.:

We use Coconut oil, palm kernel and Castor for various reasons and without them we have limited bubbles. Some other oils that are more exotic are Babassu, Monoi de Tahiti both having a high bubbly factor.

My question is what other ingredients have you used to increase the bubbly factor of your soap? And with what degree of success?

Sugar?
Laurel lactate?
myristic Acid?

Hi Neal!

Sugar will increase your bubbles as will BEER because it has a lot of sugar in it! The bubbliest soap I have made used beer as the liquid.

Some people really like beer soaps but other than the lather it doesn't do much for me. I haven't gotten a batch to turn out right though either so it's probably not a fair critique of that soap in general.

Yup, the sugar trick is one I use regularly. I make a sugar solution by boiling down 2 parts sugar to 1 part water, and a slow rolling boil until thickened. I add about 1 tsp of this super sugar solution for a 2 pound batch. It really does work! :D

Paul :wink:

Soapmaker Man said:
Yup, the sugar trick is one I use regularly. I make a sugar solution by boiling down 2 parts sugar to 1 part water, and a slow rolling boil until thickened. I add about 1 tsp of this super sugar solution for a 2 pound batch. It really does work! :D

Paul, can you use this sugar solution in bubble baths? Is this a good idea?

thenaturalway said:
Soapmaker Man said:

Paul, can you use this sugar solution in bubble baths? Is this a good idea?

Not sure, as I have yet to make bubble bars. I want to try them though. I don't know it there would be an issue or not. Hummmmm :?

Paul

So I struggle a little with the whole bubble thing.. here is my best vegitarian lathering recipe:

15% castor
30% coconut
15% olive oil
20% palm oil
20% RiceBran oil
one Tablespoon coconut milk powder ppo
one teaspoon course rosehip powder
ROE

I've read in a lot of places to keep your castor under x percent some say 5, some say 10 some say 15... not really sure why. If anyone knows why I'd love to know....Does it have to do with DOS???

I'd like to understand why so many people say don't go over 15% castor... The numbers in soapcalc for above recipe look excellent and the soap is nice and hard, mild, and lathers LIKE CRAZY. I don't know if it's all because of the castor or if the coconut milk and rosehip are contributing... I know the rosehip adds a very mild exfoliant and I find that when there's an exfoliant, the soap lathers up easier....

So, if I'm reading this right, you've actually used this soap?

I've read that anything over 10% in castor makes the bar feel "sticky" in a very unpleasant way.

I used it at 5% in my first batch, and the bubble factor was a failure.

Looking for help with bubbles... if you recommend this recipe, I'll give it a try.

Anyone else have any input on this subject?

A discussion would be helpful....

Soapy, post your recipe and I'll take a whack at it. Your primary latherers are like the OP said, Castor, CO, PKO. Stearic acid can be a player too if you want it to.

Post the recipe and let's have a look at upping your bubbly.

And yes, it's commonly said that Castor over 10% makes sticky I don't know that from experience.

Except for my salt bars, I don't use Castor anymore. I add @1/2 t. PPO of a simple sugar solution. My favorite recipe has 3% stearic acid added because the conditioning is over 60, and without it, a little softer than my minimum number of 40. Stearic acid will add hardness to your bar, but not bubbles. Add a little sugar next time...it works. :wink:

Stearic adds creamy lather, not bubbly lather. I see it as practically essence of creamy lather.

But I'd rather add Castor, high in both creamy and bubbly lather.

Yup, Greg, it is an excellent additive to increase creamy lather in the recipe. :) Some add beeswax for hardness. I have never tried it, but like my vegetable derived SA for upping hardness.

Paul

None of your beeswax... ;) ;) ;)

Couldn't resist saying it. :) I've got beeswax, for a shaving soap recipe, but I haven't used it yet.

Nor the stearic, which I bought for producing transparent soaps via Failor's recipes. But I've been reading up on stearic...

We need more goat. :)

Soapmaker Man said:

when do you add your sugar solution?

Missjulesdid said:
I've read in a lot of places to keep your castor under x percent some say 5, some say 10 some say 15... not really sure why. If anyone knows why I'd love to know....Does it have to do with DOS???

I'd like to understand why so many people say don't go over 15% castor... The numbers in soapcalc for above recipe look excellent and the soap is nice and hard, mild, and lathers LIKE CRAZY. I don't know if it's all because of the castor or if the coconut milk and rosehip are contributing... I know the rosehip adds a very mild exfoliant and I find that when there's an exfoliant, the soap lathers up easier....

Missjulesdid,

I can be such the soaping rebel at times- but I use as high as 23% castor in a tallow blend with absolutely no stickiness, softness, or DOS at all. 8) I believe it all comes down to the synergy of your formula and how hard the other oils/fats in your recipe are. My tallow bars with the 23% castor are rock hard and are as far from sticky as the earth is from Pluto, but then again, I can feel a slight stickiness from only 10% castor in one of my other recipes with a much higher percentage of softer oils/fats.

Realtors are fond of saying, 'Location, location, location!' As a soaper, I'm fond of saying, 'Formulation, formulation, formulation!' :lol:

IrishLass

fladais said:
Soapmaker Man said:

I add my sugar solution to the batter just after I have stirred in the lye solution and my GM. I would say at very light trace. I don't have any trouble with it burning. :)

Soapmaker Man said:
fladais said:
[quote="Soapmaker Man":2448puvg]Yup, the sugar trick is one I use regularly. I make a sugar solution by boiling down 2 parts sugar to 1 part water, and a slow rolling boil until thickened. I add about 1 tsp of this super sugar solution for a 2 pound batch. It really does work! :D

I add my sugar solution to the batter just after I have stirred in the lye solution and my GM. I would say at very light trace. I don't have any trouble with it burning. :)

Paul :wink:[/quote:2448puvg]

thanks, paul.

paula ;)

bubbles

i have very good luck by adding 1 level tsp ppo of powdered sugar or powdered honey added to my goatsmilk or coconut milk, then added at trace.

I make a simple syrup using 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. I add heat and reduce to a clear syrup. Sometimes I'll add some salt to that and blend the hot mixture together. I bottle this after it has cooled down. I use a teaspoon-and-a-half for a 3 pound batch because I'm already using goat milk.

Oops, guess I already commented on this... :oops:

bubbles

i dont know if this will help, but here is a favorite of mine, but i do 5 pounds of rtcp. i get tons of lather and this bar just gets harder as it ages! i have very sensitive skin, and it leaves it clean and soft.

melt and blend together the night before:

5% avacado
15% castor
20% palm
20% palm kernel
20% olive
15% coconut
5% steric acid

i use a 8% discount on my lye-mix with half your liquids-let cool

the other half of my liquids i used canned condensed goatsmilk or coconut milk.

add 1 tblsp powdered sugar-or honey powder and 1 oz glycerine to milk-blend.

i use a hand mixer for best results-never a stick!

whip your oils a bit, then add lye mixture. blend thoroughly and scrape sides. then add goatsmilk, blend and scrape sides, then add fragrance.

this will not whip up like nizzy's, but you will get more volume. mine pours out loosely and achieves a smooth level top. i use a wooden mold. i cover and let sit overnight. in the morning i remove from mold, remove the paper liner and cut. it cuts well, like mild cheddar cheese. after i add lye, it only takes abouttt 10 minutes to finish up.

one note: some f/oils heat up. i like my molds to warm up, but if it gets real warm, remove lid. i've only had to do this once with a coconut f/oil.

i have never gotten dos. (knock on wood!)

soapcalc says:

45 hardness
22 cleansing
50 conditioning
36 bubly
36 creamy
155 INS

hope this helps...i'd like to hear back if you try this.

Latest posts

Back