bath salts????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kindredscents

Reaction score
i have some himilayan salts and wintergreen esential oil along with tangerine, mryyh and tree tea oils. i was wanting to make some bah salts with these oils but i heard you had to combine oils. that you can't just use wintergreen...is that true? if so can i combine it with some of the other oils i have? and do i need a carrier oil or epsom salts?

thanks!

Wintergreen has a high content of methyl salicylate, which can build up in the body and become toxic. It's an irritant and a sensitizer. I feel Wintergreen is too dangerous to use in a bath. Warm water open pores, which can facilitate higher absorbtion. It works better in a lotion bar, but not on a long term basis.

I would stick with Tangerine, Lavender, Chamomile or other essential oils which are generally recognized as safe in small amounts. Be aware that essential oils will not dissolve in water. You can end up with globules of undiluted essential oil on top of the water, which could be irritating.

Wintergreen will burn like hell in a bath, same with peppermint, cinnamon and a few others. I love using essential oils in a very controlled way some EOs in a bath will be too much even at 1 or 2 drops some can be very irritating. I do love an EO and epsom salt soak though one of my faves is bergamot and of course lavender, orange, lemon and smaller amounts of some others. I usually use no more than 3 maaaybe 4 drops of EO to a cup or more of Epsom salt for 1 big bath and really it seems sometimes like 2 would be plenty. Less is better to prevent the oil slick soapbuddy mentioned. It's always a possibility that you will run across someone who has sensativity to EOs that are usually ok. I have a client who can't get anywhere near citrus and a different one who is allergic to lavender. But if we avoided everything that someone out there has a problem with what would we be using, eh. :roll:

Latest posts

Back