Scent for Olive Oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guywithsoap?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to be making my first soap soon. My question is in regards scenting the soap. It is going to be 100 percent Olive Oil. Would a scent work with an olive oil soap? I was considering adding Lavender.

Also, I have seen different soaps with different coloration. Does this depend completely on the color of the Olive Oil I am using assuming I am not adding a colorant.

Also, of the several olive oil soaps I have used, all have been advertised as being 100 percent Olive Oil. Most had no/little smell. However, one which was advertised as being Turkish in origin had a sharp/harsh small, is this perhaps due to it not being cured long enough?

I am under the impression this particular soap might take several months to cure properly.

If the Olive Oil soap was not appropriate for a fragrance, then I was considering a Crisco soap.

I looked on Soap Cal and saw I could use 100 percent Crisco, might this be more appropriate to carry the scent.

Thanks.

you can scent any kind of soap whether it is 100%OO or not.

if the soap had a smell it most likely wasnt due to cure, it may have just been the way that soap smelled naturally or if it had orange spots on it, it could have been rancid.

you will want to cure your OO soap for at least 4 weeks but 6-8 is even better

You can use any scent with olive oil soaps (and any other soaps, too). I've never had any scents clash with my oils/fats.

Since 100% olive takes a good, long cure (at least 3 months for me, preferably longer), the only thing I would mention would be to make sure that the scent you choose to use in your 100% olive oil soap is one that will stay the course over the long haul of cure.

IrishLass :)

Back