Failed soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tklechak

Reaction score
O.K. ....... So I broke my promise (to myself) to stick to the basics. Well, I broke my promise to stick to the basics. I added some cherry fragrance. I thought it was EO, but it was FO. I also tried a different coconut oil (pic attached), but I don't think that is/was my problem. It looks like I have a combination of ricing and separation, but I would like everyone's opinion on what's going on ... also, is this batch salvageable, or should it go to the crock pot???? The recipe is: 28 ounces OO, 12 ounces CO, 16.96 ounces water, and 5.65 ounces lye. ... 1.5 ounces patchouli (says body lotion on bottle, I thought I was buying EO) and .5 ounce cherry blossom FO. I'm going to try to attach pics now ... Thanks for your input !!! Timm .....

P1010794.jpg

P1010796.jpg

P1010802.jpg

P1010798.jpg

P1010803.jpg

P1010804.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like some kind of yummy carrot-coconut cake. Sorry, not helpful.

Was the patchouli you added a lotion, or was it an oil? Did you CPOP it? Running your recipe through SoapCalc, I think you probably had too much water for one thing. At full 'water as % of oils you would have only needed 15.2 ounces.

It looks like some kind of yummy carrot-coconut cake. Sorry, not helpful.

Was the patchouli you added a lotion, or was it an oil? Did you CPOP it? Running your recipe through SoapCalc, I think you probably had too much water for one thing. At full 'water as % of oils you would have only needed 15.2 ounces.

Well, it's pretty gross. The patchouli was an oil. I'm really thinking it was the "cherry fragrance oil". BTW, it smells like one of those urinal deodorizer cakes from the men's bathroom ..........:(

Oh, not good. I don't rebatch, so I can't offer you any advice on that. For me, even though it is a lot of soap, I would let it sit for a few days to see if the oil reabsorbs. If it does, and does not zap, I let it cure and send it to Clean the World. I have too much nice soap to use to worry about saving a fail, but I don't want it to go to waste either if it is good to use.

That looks like classic misbehaving FO to me. Are you sure it was meant for CP soap? Or soap at all?

kchaystack ...... I am not sure. I bought this when I first decided to try soaping. I didn't understand the difference EO and FO. So, I am pretty sure it was the cherry. Thanks for your reply !! Timm ............

kchaystack ...... I am not sure. I bought this when I first decided to try soaping. I didn't understand the difference EO and FO. So, I am pretty sure it was the cherry. Thanks for your reply !! Timm ............

Where did you get it from? Do you still have the bottle? If it came from Michaels or another craft store that is your problem - all of their soap FOs are for melt and pour.

Where did you get it from? Do you still have the bottle? If it came from Michaels or another craft store that is your problem - all of their soap FOs are for melt and pour.

I *think* it was from an Ebay seller. I looked, but can't find her again .........

I had an issue similar (but not that spectacular) with what I thought was tea tree EO but was tea tree scented oil. The problem is you don't know the ingredients of the oil (or in your case lotion) - at the best you are over superfatting it, at worst you are adding unsaponifiables like mineral oils and such.

I had an issue similar (but not that spectacular) with what I thought was tea tree EO but was tea tree scented oil. The problem is you don't know the ingredients of the oil (or in your case lotion) - at the best you are over superfatting it, at worst you are adding unsaponifiables like mineral oils and such.

Interesting !! ... It does appear to be some kind of oil (maybe mineral oil) that hasn't saponified ....... All is not lost though ... I could probably use it to lube the cars chassis !! LOL ......:???:

Cherry EO isn't a thing. You can get cherry FO that is soap safe. I too am wondering if you got a fragrance that is not soap or skin safe. That is some very dramatic discoloration and misbehavior, and that is out of character for a straight fruit FO.

Latest posts

Back