Basic PO free soap recipe for beginner?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know if you add 60% coconut oil after 1 hour your soap turning to dark brown. It will make your skin super dry :(
Coconut oil must be only 20% to 25%. You can add olive oil. :)

I will add that I also make a 100% coconut soap for laundry and it is as white as new-fallen snow. And it stays that way.

me three...my 100% CO soap is white as white can be. I have a goat milk one that has a pinkish tinge, but no brown.

But mine one time from creamy color turn to dark brown. I use 50% coconut and 50% olive oil. I add coffee powder.i cant even use this soap for my body. Make my skin so dry and i feel itching as well. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1394768404.039416.jpg

Kind Regards
Handmade Soaps by Sherry

If you go to this website, www.millersoap.com there is a recipe for canolive and it makes a wonderful soap. I was given one in a swap and I used it off and on for year wanting to see if it you come down with dos. It did not and I now make a similiar soap and have never had dos. Just do not superfat it over 5%. I happen to like canola in soap

No offense back, but there are ethical sources of palm oil, for example, places in Central America which used to be devoted to bananas and have been replanted with palm trees. Banana trees have absolutely terrible ecological consequences.

I also think if you buy organic sustainable palm, as I mentioned in my earlier post, you are much more likely to get palm that is not the result of ongoing rainforest destruction.

Any tropical oil (coconut, babassu, cacau, etc.) typically comes from monocrop plantation agriculture and involves deforestation, just as palm does. Cultivation practices for any of them are unlikely to look good with close scrutiny.

I happen to love palm in soap and purchase from a source that states it is sustanable. I also go to sleep at night knowing someone has a job and feeds there families. I also have to wonder why in our country where many states have lost most of their forests due to the bark beetle we do not hear much complaining. What happens to all the wildlife that has lost their forest to live in. Apparently it is not a worry since the pesticide was banned that could have taken care of the bark beetle. Sorry not trying to start a fight.

If you go to this website, www.millersoap.com there is a recipe for canolive and it makes a wonderful soap. I was given one in a swap and I used it off and on for year wanting to see if it you come down with dos. It did not and I now make a similiar soap and have never had dos. Just do not superfat it over 5%. I happen to like canola in soap

I tried to use some canola oil up in a soap, and even with lots of strong EO's, and at only 25%, I could still smell the canola. Am I the only person that can smell that?

Okay please note im a newbie as well but it drives me crazy when people are against palm free soaping. I personally always end up dry itchy and irritated after using any homemade soap with palm so i dont bother. However the bars do bubble nicely, last long (gave away the bars to friends and they loved them). But personally id rather a bar that doesnt make me scratch raw. RESEARCH EVERYTHING. i printed out the guidelines for oils (recommended %, what it does for soap ect). Following that i hughlighed which oils i can easily access, have or would consider using. Then i googled "perfect bar soap calc" this will tell you a base idea of how cleansing bubbly hard ect. Printed that. Went to soap calc, put in ratios for a standard bar of palm soap (33 % palm, 33% coconut, 34 % olive - this seemed to be the standard newbie recipe i found in books, websites ect. Using soap calc i then did my best to replicate or fall as close to the guidlines provided from the perfect bar search, and the palm based batch. Still waiting on them to cure. But honestly any soap you make should be cheaper then buying it. I hate hearing i want to make *insert product * cheap. I make a 90% olive oil, 5% shea, 5% castor, with 1.5 ounce essential oil ans each bar from that batch costs me nearly $2.00 to make - however each bar lasts me a minimum of 3 weeks.. still cheaper then buying soap, and its very mild, moisturizing so i go through way less body butter (more money saved. Trial and error is your best bet because everyone has a different preference, and goal when it comes to soap.

Also on that note i agree with the high coconut oil soap being horrible. I made a 100% coconut oil soap 20% super fat and it ummm... burned some delicate places, tried it for my face again stinging red raw flakey afterwards. I ended up using it to wash my soap making dishes. Cut through the residue amazingly

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay please note im a newbie as well but it drives me crazy when people are against palm free soaping. I personally always end up dry itchy and irritated after using any homemade soap with palm so i dont bother. However the bars do bubble nicely, last long (gave away the bars to friends and they loved them). But personally id rather a bar that doesnt make me scratch raw. RESEARCH EVERYTHING. i printed out the guidelines for oils (recommended %, what it does for soap ect). Following that i hughlighed which oils i can easily access, have or would consider using. Then i googled "perfect bar soap calc" this will tell you a base idea of how cleansing bubbly hard ect. Printed that. Went to soap calc, put in ratios for a standard bar of palm soap (33 % palm, 33% coconut, 34 % olive - this seemed to be the standard newbie recipe i found in books, websites ect. Using soap calc i then did my best to replicate or fall as close to the guidlines provided from the perfect bar search, and the palm based batch. Still waiting on them to cure. But honestly any soap you make should be cheaper then buying it. I hate hearing i want to make *insert product * cheap. I make a 90% olive oil, 5% shea, 5% castor, with 1.5 ounce essential oil ans each bar from that batch costs me nearly $2.00 to make - however each bar lasts me a minimum of 3 weeks.. still cheaper then buying soap, and its very mild, moisturizing so i go through way less body butter (more money saved. Trial and error is your best bet because everyone has a different preference, and goal when it comes to soap.

Also on that note i agree with the high coconut oil soap being horrible. I made a 100% coconut oil soap 20% super fat and it ummm... burned some delicate places, tried it for my face again stinging red raw flakey afterwards. I ended up using it to wash my soap making dishes. Cut through the residue amazingly

This post is 5 years old. The OP hasn't been here in forever. Please don't pull up old threads. You are welcome to start a new one and link to the old. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back