Lye buy I will never do again

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paillo

Reaction score
Hi gang! Haven't posted in forever, only recently started soapmaking again after the big move to Colorado, taking a job with our local Hospice, and generally trying to create normal. Sooo very wonderful to be back home in the mountains. And making soap!

Last edited:
I may have bought from the same competitor as you; as soon as the top came off, the lye just started electro-statically firing itself out of the container everywhere. The other issue, is the cap was metal painted white, and it oxidized, with black flakes dropping off into the lye. Fortunately, I masterbatch 50% lye solutions, so I just put a plastic jug over the lye container and upended all 5lb into that and added another 5lbs of distilled water for my lye jug. Once tamed it's good lye, just badly packaged. I did have to strain the solution to remove the black oxide chips, before adding to my master batch jug.

I got 10lb in 2 x 5lb jugs from Molly's Products, its listed as 99% food grade Sodium Hydroxide. I haven't titrated it, but based on hot process zap testing (superfat after cook)) with my master batch solution, I'd say it's definitely close to what they advertise.

No complaints about the product itself, just the containers on the last buy were problematic. I was able to work around it and if I ever order from them again, I'll immediately masterbatch into 50% solution, instead of waiting.

Latest posts

Back