Oily soap issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dlbroox

Reaction score
I've made this HP recipe a few times and the soap is wonderful. The problem is it's been oily after it's cooled and come out of the mold. I'm not sure if I'm not letting it cure long enough because it's 50 percent olive oil, or it's too hot when I mold it in the first place and it's separating. But it stays fairly oily for a few days so I've rebatched it and it comes out great. But I don't want to rebatch if I don't have to. So maybe I just need to leave it a week or two to cure? Here's the recipe:

Olive oil 50 %= 7.5 oz
Castor oil 8 %. = 1.2 oz
Coconut oil 27%=4.05 oz
Sunflower oil 15%= 2.25 oz

Water 4.23 oz
Lye 2.08 oz

I used a 33 % percent lye concentration and 6% super fat. All my numbers were run through soapcalc.

even HP soap needs at least cure of 4 weeks to become mild and nice, 50% plus 15 Sunflower gives you 65% I cure them for at least 3 months. Have you used HIgh oleic Sunflower?

even HP soap needs at least cure of 4 weeks to become mild and nice, 50% plus 15 Sunflower gives you 65% I cure them for at least 3 months. Have you used HIgh oleic Sunflower?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the sunflower is high oleoic.

What do you mean by "oily"? Is there actually oil on the unused bars? Does that zap? Does it smell?

It does not zap.

It does have some oil on the unused bar. As if all the oil wasn't absorbed in the process. It's not dripping in oil. It's a sheen in some spots. And when I pick it up there's oil on my fingers. But when I wash it off it comes right off with just water like soap would. So it's not raw oil.

Oh and it smells like soap. I don't use essential oils or any colors.

I don't know much about hot process, but maybe it's a mixing issue? Perhaps you're adding your superfat too late or not mixing it in enough? Just a thought!

Are you adding in your super-fat oil after the cook? If so, I would guess it is not mixed in. Also, when making hp it is better to use full water not a discount, some even use a little more to help keep it more fluid. As thick as I can imagine your soap is, it is hard to mix in super-fat oil and fragrance oil. HP soap really takes longer to cure than cp

Are you adding in your super-fat oil after the cook? If so, I would guess it is not mixed in. Also, when making hp it is better to use full water not a discount, some even use a little more to help keep it more fluid. As thick as I can imagine your soap is, it is hard to mix in super-fat oil and fragrance oil. HP soap really takes longer to cure than cp

I put the oil in before it cooks in the crockpot.

How do I know what the full water value would be? What do I plug in to soapcalc to get that?

Glycerin can feel oily. The proof of real oil vs oily-feeling glycerin is to get some on your fingers and rinse with water only. If it comes off with only water, it's glycerin. If you need to add soap to remove it, it's probably oil.

Glycerin can feel oily. The proof of real oil vs oily-feeling glycerin is to get some on your fingers and rinse with water only. If it comes off with only water, it's glycerin. If you need to add soap to remove it, it's probably oil.

That's helpful. Based on that it's glycerin on the soap. The little bit of shine left on the mold was oil.

Ok so I'm back for more feedback on this one batch of soap. I've used this same recipe several times without any issue, but this batch is a mystery to me. Now it's hardened and isn't glossy anymore, but it feels a bit tacky to the touch.

I know too much castor oil can cause that, but again, I've used this recipe before. What I did change was the brand of olive oil in that batch. I used Whole Foods Mediterranean Blend. It was a really good price. I tasted it and got that olive oil burn so I thought it wa good oil. But could that be the problem? The soap is much darker and not that attractive I'd have to say. I'd probably use it for salads! But I do want to know if that could be the problem.

Yesterday I made a new batch with my original brand of olive oil and it came out great.

The only other thing I changed, in the weird batch I used individual silicone molds, and the new better batch I used a wooden mold lined with freezer paper. I think I prefer that over th silcone anyway. But could that be part if the equation?

I wonder if rebatching can fix this batch.

Ok so I'm back for more feedback on this one batch of soap. I've used this same recipe several times without any issue, but this batch is a mystery to me. Now it's hardened and isn't glossy anymore, but it feels a bit tacky to the touch.

I know too much castor oil can cause that, but again, I've used this recipe before. What I did change was the brand of olive oil in that batch. I used Whole Foods Mediterranean Blend. It was a really good price. I tasted it and got that olive oil burn so I thought it wa good oil. But could that be the problem? The soap is much darker and not that attractive I'd have to say. I'd probably use it for salads! But I do want to know if that could be the problem.

Yesterday I made a new batch with my original brand of olive oil and it came out great.

The only other thing I changed, in the weird batch I used individual silicone molds, and the new better batch I used a wooden mold lined with freezer paper. I think I prefer that over th silcone anyway. But could that be part if the equation?

I wonder if rebatching can fix this batch.

It was likely a blend of different oils. Not just Olive. I saw one that said the same thing at a market over the weekend. It was a blend of different oils.

"....Whole Foods Mediterranean Blend...."

I'd read the label on that one. I mistrust the word "blend."

"...in the weird batch I used individual silicone molds, and the new better batch I used a wooden mold lined with freezer paper..."

Soap is less likely to gel in individual molds, so it tends to be softer than gelled soap for a longer time.

Thank you both for the replies. The oil does say olive oil only in the ingredients but blend on the label would be the hint I should have seen. I really didn't notice that when I bought it I think. Lots to learn!

I wonder will it cure maybe and resolve itself of its issues?

Thank you both for the replies. The oil does say olive oil only in the ingredients but blend on the label would be the hint I should have seen. I really didn't notice that when I bought it I think. Lots to learn!

I wonder will it cure maybe and resolve itself of its issues?

Blend could refer to it being a blend of different grades of olive oil.

I'm not going to use it again. The batch just isn't nice. It's a strange color and just isn't right.

Latest posts

Back