A labeling violation (US)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I'm willing to experiment on myself and do make and use occasional herbal remedies, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying from another person or providing remedies to anyone other than myself. There's the whole "untested" thing and "anecdotes aren't the same as facts (data)" because feelings and perceptions are involved.

As to ways to create more circumspect labeling, I'm no expert and plan to read Ms. Gale's well-regarded book to learn more.
I have no problem providing my neighbors and friends (and even coworkers) with tinctures and salves made with herbs. I just tell them "I am not a doctor" and explain what the purported qualities are and that they go back in time a good ways and that in most cases, they were found to work well enough to get by (before we had the strict, but no better, sampling methods of the FDA).

I have read Ms. Gale's book and that's where I came up with all the a$$-covering rhetoric I'd include.

I do engineering policies & procedures and read the indictment too. I don't think that is odd at all.

:)

After reading it, I think the farmer was deliberately obtuse and a few other descriptors that aren't coming to mind in my cold-addled brain. Earlier comments in this thread about differing rules or expectations based on religion may also illustrate part of the problem the farmer is having. I wasn't aware of that being an issue in some areas.

What first interested me in the story is that I'm a customer of a raw milk dairy that is running into problems w/state Ag dept and have been following their progress.

The second reason for my interest is I like to plan in advance and maybe in a few years I want to sell soap without running afoul of FDA or even interacting with them...

For instance, sell a salt bar containing activated charcoal because some people believe it helps their acne. Seems to me like it would be easy to slide into the realm of "drug" and fall under purview of FDA. "What would one say to a potential customer who wants to know what AC is for?" is a thought I've had. Probably ought to buy Ms. Gale's book.

If you keep your claims to "appearances" then it is only a cosmetic. "Reduces the appearance of acne and blemishes" is not claiming to heal or cure. Which is why most cosmetic adverts use that word. Appearance of fine lines, younger looking skin, and so on

Yes, if he had bothered to follow ANY of the label or labeling rules (Ms. Gale's book really would have helped him!) he may not have had the problems to start with. But even after being told about the misbranding of (mislabeled) his products, he continued to do it. He was under a federal court injunction and ignored that. He brazenly disregarded the laws of the land and decided they did not apply to him. He was creating an unsafe product in an unsafe manner in an unsafe environment in an unregistered facility and refused access to authorities. He deserves everything he gets.

If you keep your claims to "appearances" then it is only a cosmetic. "Reduces the appearance of acne and blemishes" is not claiming to heal or cure. Which is why most cosmetic adverts use that word. Appearance of fine lines, younger looking skin, and so on

:) I'm leaning toward making no claims other than "It's soap"

why did this thread get hijacked with puppy mills and hunting?

:headbanging:
But... what did puppy mills have to do with soaping at all?

But... what did puppy mills have to do with soaping at all?

This thread didn't get "hijacked" with puppy mills and hunting. Two people made comments regarding their personal opinions of the general perception of Amish culture as being (1) non-violent and (2) obedient to the law. The non-violent (i.e. pacifist) mythology was dispelled (in that person's view) by the violent destruction of life in dog breeding (puppy mills).

It doesn't have anything to do with soaping, but then again, neither does this thread, which is why it is in the "LABELS & PACKAGING" section of the forum. The Soap Making Forum isn't just about soap. We like talking about all kinds of stuff. Stinky armpits is a good topic to talk about; everybody's got a pair. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back