lotion bar recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
Here's the story...I have my go to recipe for lotion bars that contains sweet almond oil and mango butter.A customer requested a lotion bar without those 2 ingredients.....I'm presuming she has nut allergies but that wasn't conferred to my friend. Nonetheless, I have jojoba oil and other choice oils that I've been saving for a leave on product.My question is...in terms of nut allergies, how long is that list? I wouldn't think the mango butter would be an issue, and to be honest, I'm not quite sure if coconut falls into that category...just looking to learn what falls into the category of a nut oil...a gazillion thanks to you all...
Anton

FWIW, coconut is not a nut. Neither is a mango. They are both drupes. (Unfortunately, so are almonds and walnuts. I just learned that. So much for my help. But here's some interesting reading, anyway. http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Drupe)

I was grabbing the article because most people don't know the word "drupe" and I just wanted to point out what types of foods are when I happened to notice the walnuts and almonds. It makes sense because I have a black walnut tree in my yard. Those things look like little green baseballs. If you peel the green skin off, you reveal this nasty black flesh. The walnut is the "pit" of that flesh. I've never seen almond fruit. I wonder what they look like...

I have a friend who has an anaphylactic reaction to nuts but she is fine eating almonds. Peanuts are the worst nuts for her. Everyone is different though so it's best to check with your client which particular nuts she reacts to.

I don't know if she's against animal fats...and Im willing to do some research and trialing of recipes to this end...but in the end it is just 1 potential customer for now...I can get a little exasperated of all the things a product is suppose to be in this day and age...nut free, vegan, gluten free. My friend at the coffee roasters has people asking if his coffee is gluten free...we have a long list of stories that fall well under the heading of, "you can't make this up".

I had a person ask if I could make a skunk out of heavy leather. I explained the tooling needed would cost $300 to $600. Because I was skeptical that a skunk would sell well for us, I explained I would have to have a large enough order, paid in advance, to cover the cost of the tooling. That translates to a purchase of 40 to 80 skunks.

She earnestly told me she would promise to buy a dozen or two -- and would that be a big enough order, because she really, really wanted a skunk?

<sigh>

Sometimes it's wisest to sometimes just say No, even though I think most small business owners, including me, are really reluctant to use that "N" word.

Peanuts are legumes not nuts. As mentioned Almonds are drupes, the trees are are closely related to peach, cherry and apricot. Often times Almond Butter is used to replace Peanut Butter for people allergic to peanuts. They are the seed of the fruit of the almond tree. Acorns and chestnuts are a couple of true nuts

You could try hydrogenated soy shortening in place of butter. Many so-called butters are mostly hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Back