Soapmaking Supplies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomadicgnu

Reaction score
We are new to cold pressed soapmaking and wondering what recommendations you all may have for the perfect vessel in which to heat and mix.

For mixing lye and a liquid I ordered beakers with spouts and handles from the Science Company.
To heat oils, I use a stainless steel pot.
Hope this helps.

You can mix your lye solution in any plastic container labeled PP5 (Polypropylene) or HDPE - Rubbermaid pitchers usually meet these requirements and are readily available and inexpensive. You can also use stainless steel.
You can use a crockpot to heat your oils, or a stainless steel pot, or a microwave safe dish.
If you can mix lye solution in it, you can also soap in it.
You CAN NOT (never ever ever!) use Aluminum utensils/tools/pots for soapmaking.

I found this cool thingamajig for a new soap pot recently at Northern Tools (it can handle an autoclave, so I would think it is microwaveable for heating oils):
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f22/perfect-soap-pot-spout-31157/#post292306

We are new to cold pressed soapmaking and wondering what recommendations you all may have for the perfect vessel in which to heat and mix.

I use metal bowls, It works great for me, i try and keep everything as cool as possible, so when im ready to heat my oils(yes i put my metal bowl directly on the burner) i just keep it on the burner long enough to melt the coconut oil, take it off put it on an old shirt (so it doesnt burn my table) and it works really well with lye because i dont have to worry about the lye heating up to much and shattering my bowl (like i would if it was glass).

So my answer in short, Metal bowels. they are amazing.

Thank you for pointing us in the right direction. I am sure we will have plenty more questions in the future.

Back