If You Were To Recommend Only One Book..?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapzilla

Reaction score
I'm a total beginner, and intend to play around with MP, before I foray into CP. However, I like to get ahead of myself and read up on new things before I try them. And with xmas coming, I thought I might treat myself on Amazon.

So... My question is... If you could recommend just one book, for a total beginner, that has reliable recipes and sound info - and wouldn't be outgrown too quickly - what would that one book be?

The Everything Soapmaking Book by Alicia Grosso It's informative and has some good recipes in it, plus some references to some good resources for beginners.

Alicia is in another forum that I'm in & is a very nice and helpful soaper. When I first started making CP and had read her book, I emailed her with a few questions, not really expecting to get an answer. But the next day she had emailed me back and helped me out. She was very nice & polite about it.

I second Genny's choice. Out of all the soaping books I've read, I found it to be the most comprehensive, encompassing CP, MP, Liquid Soap, Cream Soap, etc.... Plus, it has lots of pictures and recipes and ideas to help you understand the different processes and to help you get your feet wet. If I heard right, I believe she just came out with a newly updated edition of the book, too.

Once you become more experienced and yearn to deepen your knowlege of the chemistry side of soapmaking, I highly recommend Dr. Kevin Dunn's book, "Scientific Soapmaking".

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The aforementioned ones are good. My fave is Smart Soapmaking by Anne Watson. Also love her other book Milk Soapmaking. She has a variety of recipes.

Another vote for Smart Soapmaking by Anne Watson. And Milk Soapmaking by Anne Watson. (I know you wanted only one, but you won't be sorry if you get both of these.) :)

Chicklet is right. Milk Soapmaking is great. Anne Watson's suggestions make it so much easier to work with milk!

Back