The Name Game

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvan

Reaction score
Even though selling is something I won't do without insurance and insurance being something I cannot afford, I will not be selling anytime soon.

However, I am still working out what I want to design my packaging like and what to put on it. I am thinking it would be nice to have a "name" for my "non-business", but does naming it constitute the need to get a business license? That's probably not that big of a deal around here, but wondered.

I only make soap and don't know that I ever would be inclined to make other things. I'd rather be well-versed at the things I do and soap is hard enough to master.

In the meantime, while those sort of things iron themselves out, I thought of a couple things and need some opinions what sounds viable or pleasing:

Kettle Moraine Soapworks
Kettle Moraine Handcrafted Soap
Kettle Moraine Soapcakes
Kettle Moraine Bath and Body

I live in the heart of the Kettle Moraine and the area was formed by glaciers and formations in the area are drumlins, kettles, eskers....

I completely understand what you mean jarvan . I have been doing what you are doing since I started almost a year ago . I want my duckies in a row and I want to be positive about my choices of name , logo etc , the quality of the soap and packaging . I think doing these things ahead is a good thing , you don't want to be rushed into everything that needs doing when you do sell.
I really like the first one if soap will be your main focus.

Kitn

Vic1963 said:
I like SoapWorks :)

I agree with you I am constantly trying to think of a name for my soap in the event that I would like to sell it. You want to pick a name that makes business sense, one that can grab attention but not go over the top and be foolish. I think, thinking about it should take a little time in my case a whole lot of time. Still have not come up with a name yet. Then there is the designing of your logo and labeling so on and so on, it is enough to make you crazy!

Fairydittle said:
You want to pick a name that makes business sense, one that can grab attention but not go over the top and be foolish.

WHAT????!!!?!?!? LOL ROFL

You mean like this?

Mechanics.jpg

I have my own exclusive 'make believe' business with its own exclusive clientele (aka my big circle of family and friends). :wink: It has its own name that I picked out over a year ago and it has its own e-mail addy (for my exclusive clientele only :wink: ), and I already have a web domain name for my future web site, which I'm in the slow process of working on in my spare time. I believe it's smart to think ahead and get all your ducks in a row and have all the kinks worked out long before that long awaited special day that you finally go legit. I've been soaping for 3 years and it will be a little longer still before I'm ready to take the 'official' plunge, but it sure is fun to dream in the meantime. :)

IrishLass

PS- I like the name with "Soapworks' in the title. :)

x

just a thought:

kettle moraine naturals - that would cover more than just soap if you eventually branch out.

i like soapworks, too.

I know it would be more broad to say naturals, but would anyone know what the product really is? And if I use the word natural, wouldn't that be violated by the use of fragrance oils and other synthetics like certain colors?

jarvan said:
I know it would be more broad to say naturals, but would anyone know what the product really is? And if I use the word natural, wouldn't that be violated by the use of fragrance oils and other synthetics like certain colors?

example:

kettle morraine naturals
premium quality soaps

or

kettle morraine naturals
bath & body care

i always use it in context with a sub-line.

this is from my own personal experience:

i got tired of the "hair-splitters" and "nit-pickers" regarding f/o's and e/o's, and "natural" or not.

i clearly label my soaps and other products, so anyone can read what's in them-never had any issues with buyers. they either bought it or didn't.

most buyers wouldn't know what natural is and they don't care-as long as it smells great, looks pretty and does the job.

the most interest ever expressed was whether it had animal products in them-tallow, etc.

whether you agree, with me or not, what we make is a heck of a lot more natural than the products on the store shelves!

BTW, many f/o's have e/o's in them. they are not ALL synthetic. :D

Heartsong, I see what you are saying, and I know that what we make is a lot more natural than store bought mass production. I just want to make sure I don't set myself up to have to make big changes down the line if I ever do decide to sell. I am years from being able to do so. Anywho...just fooling around making my make-pretend line.

Latest posts

Back