Norwegian Treats

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie

Reaction score
My brother is going to Norway! He has offered a portion of his suitcase to fill with goodies for me on his return. I haven't been there since I was a teen, and a picky eater, so mostly I remember the exquisite chocolates and licorice and cloudberry jam (to me it tasted like fresh dirt and wine, in a good way). Are there other treats I should request? Any special or traditional soaps? Thanks!

Since Norway is my neighbour country I feel I should have some ideas but I really don't know nothing about Norway! ;_____;

If he has the time, ask him to go to whatever Walmart/grocery store he can find. It will be mostly the same stuff but loads cheaper. There will also be a bunch of "local only" specialties for the super unique stuff.

I live near Decorah, Iowa, which was settled by Norwegians.

Sot Suppe (sweet soup) is an interesting treat if you like tooth-achingly sweet stuff. I can enjoy a spoonful or two, but that's about it.

Gjetost cheese. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/07/dining/a-toast-for-a-humble-norwegian-cheese.html

And Gjetost is good on crackers or thin bread with a tart full-flavored jam like lingonberry or raspberry (or maybe your cloudberry?)

Go to a butchers store and ask for spekemat. That is the term for all the varieties of salted and dried meat. We have good traditions for that.

My family loves gjetost... I'm not a big fan. The light version is ok, but the dark version tastes like earwax. There is a funny thread about it somewhere on the forum. I didn't know how it was made, now I'm excited to try it again and see if my tastes have changed.

I never tried sot suppe. Hmm... sounds odd. I think I ate some varieties of spekemat with my smorbrod, but there were many strange looking preserved meets I was too chicken to try. I'll ask my brother to eat as many different things as he can and bring the best, plane safe foods back. Or maybe he should bring the strangest things back. Or maybe I should go to Norway, take in the views and eat! *sigh*

Thanks everyone!

Back