~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Speed up drying/curing time of CP soap?

Old 11-14-2017, 06:16 PM   #91
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4909 Times on 2858 Posts
Likes Given: 1260

I have a bar that I have made for years that uses a large amount of whole oats with no issues. I never put any type of botanical's or large salt grains of top of soap for decorations. Never Never Never . I usually use Oat Flour except in my DB soaps because men tend to like a bit scrubbier

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area

Old 11-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #92
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 7077 Times on 3552 Posts
Likes Given: 4608

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherylG View Post
If I can find a good slow cooker at the thrift store cheap I might buy it and just make all soap in it. It looks easy on the 'net. I have always cooked it in a pot on the stove but tend to over cook it. It would make rebatching easier too.

Anyone cook soap in a slow cooker?
For my all HP batches and any rebatches, I just use my oven (set to 180F/82C), and a stainless steel soup pot with a cover. Unlike the stovetop, the oven provides even heat all around, so there's no chance of the bottom scorching.

IrishLass

Old 11-14-2017, 11:38 PM   #93
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 809 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 3202

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherylG View Post
Now I'm a bit concerned about the oatmeal soap I made a few days ago. I don't want the oats in my soap to sour. I put in more than I usually do but I ground them up fine in my spice grinder. Half of them sunk to the bottom in the thin CP soap,so there's a big chunk of them sitting on the bottom.
I wouldn't worry too much about the chunk on the bottom -- you can always say you planned to make it that way! You know, a scrubby side and a smooth side to the soap. Sounds like a winner to me!

As Carolyn mentioned, I also prefer to use Oat Flour -- Bob's Red Mill from the grocery store or Whole Foods -- I add it to my warm oils, mix for 1 full minute, before adding the lye solution.

Picking up a slow cooker, or as it is more commonly referred to, a "crock pot", at a thrift store is a good idea. Get the largest one you can find cuz you need some head room for turning/stirring plus the soap can bubble up to the lid... and beyond ...the minute your back is turned!

You'll also want one with a removable insert so you can put it in the dishwasher. I found mine at a thrift store. It's a 6 quart Rival with a black ceramic pot insert. It's a good investment because you can also use it to infuse oils for herbal products; make liquid soap; etc. in addition to hot process hard bars.

Just a stab in the dark here, but I'd venture to guess that just about everyone responding on this thread has used a crock pot to make soap.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:23 AM   #94
SherylG

Liked 25 Times on 13 Posts

Thanks everyone for the information! I going to keep my eyes open for one at the thrift store this winter. I can use a pot on the stove, as I have done many times, but the crockpot method looks so much easier and safer.

Zany: Good idea. I think I will leave it as is, provided it still looks good when dry and works well. I'm too lazy to rebatch unless I need to.

Zany_in_CO Likes This