~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Speed up drying/curing time of CP soap?

Old 12-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #91
Nanditasr

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
Kevin Dunn did a presentation ... the contaminated areas were ON the soap, not IN it... They should be used in low to moderate amounts and mixed well into the soap.
Thanks for this very informative post, DeeAnna. By that token, can fresh orange zest be added at thin trace to the soap? If yes, is there a rule of thumb on how much is acceptable, and will it retain any smell at all, if I add a little arrowroot? I plan to mix the oils and lye solution at room temperature (about 72-75 degrees F) in the hope of retaining the fragrance.

The other question I have is a most basic one -- how does one figure out that a CP soap is actually cured? In an objective rather than subjective way, I mean -- for example, if my recipe is at 38% (and 2.7 x lye weight) and I use 228 grams water and 600 grams oil, and the wet soap mixture is about 910 grams, can I assume that my soap is cured when its weight (total of all the now cut pieces) reduces by about half the water weight (about 115 grams)?

Last edited by Nanditasr; 12-10-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #92
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7991 Times on 4393 Posts
Likes Given: 16882

Fresh orange zest will rot inside of the soap. I bought some soap early in my soaping experience with some in it. At about 3 weeks after purchase, the bar had little rotten spots all in it, followed by a fine case of DOS.

If you make a batch of soap today, then another in 6 weeks, you could test them against each other and tell one is cured and one is not. Or you could test your batch weekly and see when the lather and overall quality stops improving. That is when your soap is cured. Far more is going on than moisture loss.

Nanditasr Likes This 
Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #93
Nanditasr

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Fresh orange zest will rot inside of the soap.
Thanks. In that case, dried and powdered orange zest it shall be!

Old 12-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #94
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11557 Times on 5237 Posts
Likes Given: 5160

"...In an objective rather than subjective way, I mean ... can I assume that my soap is cured when its weight (total of all the now cut pieces) reduces by about half the water weight (about 115 grams)? ..."

Cure is not just about water evaporation, so the strict answer is "no." It's also about improvement in lather quality, skin feel after washing, and longevity. I don't know how you can determine some of these qualities in an utterly objective way. Even commercial soap makers don't have that all figured out.

It is true that many soaps made with a blend of fats (and thus a blend of fatty acids) are going to be cured enough in 4-8 weeks to please most people. That also happens to be about the time when the weight loss slows substantially, so measuring the rate of weight loss is a simple, fast way to monitor soap. But this rule of thumb that does not invariably hold true -- a slowing rate of weight loss doesn't always mean the soap is sufficiently cured and performing at its best.

The soap that taught me this fact was a soap very high in lard (stearic and palmitic acids). It did not lather well a month or two after making, but was a very pleasant soap to use at 1 year. If I decided weight loss was the only basis for determining it was sufficiently cured, the soap would have ended up in the trash. It almost did anyway, but I'm glad I gave it a final chance to prove its worth.

Last edited by DeeAnna; 12-10-2017 at 03:38 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #95
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 3252 Times on 2301 Posts
Likes Given: 195

I agree with DeeAnna; curing is more than just moisture evaporation. Give your soap a good 4 weeks to cure. Six weeks is even better.
Nanditasr Likes This 
Old 12-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #96
tlsweet

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have to agree with many of the more experienced soapers comments listed throughout this lengthy thread.
I've been making soap for 6 months now. I've found using a 2:1 lye to water mixture helps the soap release from the mold quicker. However, it doesn't make it cure any faster. I've tried bars of soap after 6 weeks, and later came back another month or two to find that same soap better. For me that meant it created more lather and was more creamy.
Lesson Learned: Wait at least 6 weeks.

Teena
People Like This 
Old 12-28-2017, 06:22 AM   #97
hoegarden

Liked 115 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbuddy View Post
CPOP or ITMHP is the same thing. You make the soap, bring it to trace, pour into your mold, then put in a warm oven (170 degrees) for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and leave it there overnight. By the next morning, the soap should be ready to cut. If you followed a soap calc correctly, this should be safe to sell after one week.
You really should wait longer as more water evaporates, but if you can't it's ok after one week.

Irena
Will this be good for milk soap too?

Old 12-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #98
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4804 Times on 3198 Posts
Likes Given: 4034

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoegarden View Post
Soapbuddy hasn't been here in some time. I personally don't do it with my milk soaps. Due to the sugars in the milk it can cause overheating and will also darken the soap a bit more than normal gel. I just insulate them well with towels and if need be a heating pad underneath (during the winter).

Some prefer to not gel their milk soaps at all.

Also, when I do use the oven, I just preheat it and turn it off when I put the soap in the oven and just leave it.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #99
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11557 Times on 5237 Posts
Likes Given: 5160

Don't use that method for CPOP that Soapbuddy described. It was common a few years ago, but the soap gets too hot and that can cause problems. Shari's (Shunt) advice works better and has fewer side effects. Milk soap is likely to darken with CPOP, so keep that in mind if you want to keep the soap as light in color as possible.
People Like This 
Old 12-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #100
MullersLaneFarm

Liked 58 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoegarden View Post
I do gel my milk soaps (100% milk in lye solution, all I've made for 16 years) using heavy wool blankets, however that is only when using my 9 lb & 12 lb slab molds.

I do not insulate (or use CPOP or ITMHP) when using my log molds due to over heating.