~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Labels and Packaging > Spray sealing labels

Old 11-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #1
bathgeek

Liked 130 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default Spray sealing labels

On liquid soap bottles, regular labels that get wet run like mad. I find weatherproof label paper very expensive, so Iím experimenting with spray-sealing my labels. I bought a can of matte-finish acrylic spray seal for this from Amazon (the kind people use on finished paintings.) I find that it doesnít matter if I spray the label on the bottle or on the sheet, I still get a nice water-proof effect. So very much cheaper than weatherproof labels! Is there a downside Iím not seeing?

Old 11-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

you would be much better off with the weatherproof labels. If you are doing these to sell I would highly recommend the weatherproof or have vinyl labels made, since the package is the first impression for a potential customer.

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area

Old 11-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
bathgeek

Vinyl, thereís a thought, Iíd forgotten they existed. *facepalm* I guess I can have them printed for me. ^_^;

Old 11-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #4
Heika
HiMark Soaps
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have used a variety of supposedly waterproof labels for my products. I haven't found one that truly impresses me yet. I have been using Onlinelabels waterproof labels for shampoo and lotion, but find that they scratch easily and the labels fall off the shampoo bottles in the shower. This last time, I bought some labels that I know are very sticky but not waterproof. I am spraying mine as well. I am not ready to break the bank buying vinyl labels, and I find that sprayed labels look just as nice as not sprayed labels. Onlinelabels recommends you do this for body and bath products anyhow, even when using their waterproof labels.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #5
bathgeek

Itís a relief to know someone else does it too. Weatherproof labels cost SO MUCH.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
Saranac

Liked 213 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 98

I've used both the inkjet and the laserjet weatherproof labels from onlinelabels and had the same troubles. The are easy to scratch and mine ultimately would start flaking. I've since switched to their weatherproof vinyl and LOVE them; no sealing necessary! They are for laser printers only, and there is a learning curve to get them to work, but I couldn't be happier. I can fit enough on one sheet for 12 bottles and with toner, I figure about $0.15 per bottle. I have a Silhouette and use that to cut them out. I've never had toner flake of of these. In fact, there is a slight stretch to the labels when the backing is off and I've tried to flake the toner off by stretching. It sticks tight. I've been refilling the same labeled bottle of shampoo in my shower since mid summer; the label still looks great. If you've got a laser printer, try out the vinyl.

I've included a link above because they never come up in their website's search bar; I always have to use google.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #7
Heika
HiMark Soaps
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranac View Post
I've used both the inkjet and the laserjet weatherproof labels from onlinelabels and had the same troubles. The are easy to scratch and mine ultimately would start flaking. I've since switched to their weatherproof vinyl and LOVE them; no sealing necessary! They are for laser printers only, and there is a learning curve to get them to work, but I couldn't be happier. I can fit enough on one sheet for 12 bottles and with toner, I figure about $0.15 per bottle. I have a Silhouette and use that to cut them out. I've never had toner flake of of these. In fact, there is a slight stretch to the labels when the backing is off and I've tried to flake the toner off by stretching. It sticks tight. I've been refilling the same labeled bottle of shampoo in my shower since mid summer; the label still looks great. If you've got a laser printer, try out the vinyl.

I've included a link above because they never come up in their website's search bar; I always have to use google.
Any chance you can post a picture of your shampoo bottle? I looked at their vinyl labels, but they don't have "shapes" in them, and I don't have anything to cut them with except for a pair of scissors. I would be willing to invest if they are as fantastic as you say!

Old 11-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
Saranac

Liked 213 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heika View Post
Any chance you can post a picture of your shampoo bottle? I looked at their vinyl labels, but they don't have "shapes" in them, and I don't have anything to cut them with except for a pair of scissors. I would be willing to invest if they are as fantastic as you say!
If your labels are square/rectangle, you could try the vinyl labels and cut them with a rotary cutter (like quilters use). My labels look like a square with an arched top (I have no idea what that's called!) which is why the Silhouette works so well for cutting. Like I said, there is a huge learning curve, but when the stars align, it's great. I'll see if I can get a picture for you today. . . .

Old 11-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 1883

Another less expensive cutting tool that I use for labels is scrap-booking scissors. They come in a variety of designs and you can buy them pretty much anywhere that sells stamping and scrap-booking supplies. I have even seen them at my local Goodwill once. I got mine free from my MIL after she stopped that hobby. You could even use pinking shears if you happen to already have them and don't care about destroying them for fabric use thereafter.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:17 AM   #10
penelopejane

Liked 2023 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heika View Post
https://www.onlinelabels.com/weather...inyl_laser.htm

These have 6 different shapes to choose from including custom.