~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Food & Spirit Recipes > i have a issue

Old 10-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #11
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1062 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
Thank you Carolyn. My pie crusts used to be very hit-or-miss until I stumbled upon a discovery explained so wonderfully by a chef named Paige on this pie crust blog page. Turns out I was using the wrong fat-to-flour ratio for the protein content of my particular flour (King Arthur AP flour). Once I started using the proper fat to flour ratio for my KA flour, and also mixing my dough like she does on the blog page (brilliant!), I've been so happy with my crusts. By the way, the leaf lard sold by Fanny and Flo online makes a great crust for this pie.
Try replacing most, or even all of the water with the highest proof grain alcohol you can find. I use everclear or spiced rum instead of water. Use the same amount, or even a little more if you need to. It helps keep the gluten from developing, which gives a more tender crust.

People Like This 
Old 10-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
dixiedragon

Liked 3678 Times on 2122 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post

Re: the cinnamon. I agree wholeheartedly with you. The reason why I say "that's right- cinnamon" in the text of recipe is because of how my sister-in-law reacted when she tried the meat pie for the first time. Let's just say she just wasn't all that into it. She can be very picky when it comes to certain food /spice combos, and to her, cinnamon is a spice for sweets only, like apple pie, etc... But to me (and everyone else in my family), the cinnamon and nutmeg really make this pie the awesome thing that it is.

IrishLass
I make Emeril Laggasse's (sp?) Bolognese sauce and it uses cinnamon. I cut the amount in half like several reviewers recommend. You don't notice it when it's there, but you definitely notice when it's not!

IrishLass Likes This