Fresh out of the oven

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmm....I can smell it over here in CA!

How is the ice treating your area? I grew up in central IL - way out in the country. Learned to cook food by candles or propane torch during ice/blizzards.

Do you, or anyone, have a recipe for very, very, very, easy white slicing bread? I don't have Irish Lass's bread skills, but I'm not very far behind. However, our kid is the only one who eats bread in the house. I can't find store bought bread that isn't made with soy or canola oil, I have some lovely Eikorn flour so I thought I make a loaf for her sandwiches every week. But I just don't want to spend hours kneading, proofing, re-proofing...etc.

We are in Southern Illinois... way out in the country! We were "supposed" to get a big ice storm Friday, but all we got was very cold rain. So far so good.

That's very good! I can still remember hearing the sounds of trees and branches cracking under the weight of the ice. Not to mention there was no way to step out of the house without falling!

No knead sourdough bread baked in a cast iron dutch oven. This is just about the only bread I bake any more.
This is for Sunday lunch, to go with spaghetti (with my home made meaty sauce).

That looks sooo good! Yum!!

Do you, or anyone, have a recipe for very, very, very, easy white slicing bread? I don't have Irish Lass's bread skills, but I'm not very far behind. However, our kid is the only one who eats bread in the house. I can't find store bought bread that isn't made with soy or canola oil, I have some lovely Eikorn flour so I thought I make a loaf for her sandwiches every week. But I just don't want to spend hours kneading, proofing, re-proofing...etc.

Have you considered getting a bread machine? Mine pretty much does everything for me with no real effort. I spend 5 minutes measuring out things, click a button, and a couple of hours later: lovely white bread!

Have you tried the artisan bread in five minutes a day? It doesn't get much easier than that. And you can use the method to make many different kinds of bread, too.
http://artisanbreadinfive.com/

Traditional bread will always involve kneading, proofing, those things that require time that you want to avoid.
A bread machine is the easiest no-fuss way to make bread, and it can make very good bread. The "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" is also very good. Its what got me interested in the whole no-knead concept, I recommend that you look into it.

Traditional bread will always involve kneading, proofing, those things that require time that you want to avoid.
A bread machine is the easiest no-fuss way to make bread, and it can make very good bread. The "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" is also very good. Its what got me interested in the whole no-knead concept, I recommend that you look into it.

Am I strage? I really like kneading bread dough. The oils soften my hands. The yeasty aroma that fills the kitchen, I find very pleasant. The actual physical act of repetitious kneading is also soothing. And as yet, my hands don't feel pain when I knead bread. Once that happens, I may change my opinion. But for me I've never wanted a bread machine because I really do enjoy kneading bread. In fact I also like making pasta from scratch, although I don't find it as soothing as making bread.

But, Arthur, your bread is beautiful and looks delicious!

I like kneading bread dough, also. There is just something that gives you peace in your heart about it. And you can feel when it is just kneaded enough to be perfect.

Looks yum!
I only ever use no-knead recipe as well. It makes best bread with least fuss. :D
I was never able to achieve that lovely crust and bread holes with normal recipes.
I have KA, it's great for kneading but I only use it for pizza bases.

Am I strage? I really like kneading bread dough. The oils soften my hands. The yeasty aroma that fills the kitchen, I find very pleasant. The actual physical act of repetitious kneading is also soothing. And as yet, my hands don't feel pain when I knead bread. Once that happens, I may change my opinion. But for me I've never wanted a bread machine because I really do enjoy kneading bread. In fact I also like making pasta from scratch, although I don't find it as soothing as making bread.

But, Arthur, your bread is beautiful and looks delicious!

Not strange at all. I love kneading bread too, and still make bread using the traditional method, and that's the reason why I never wanted a bread machine, beside the fact that my kitchen is too small for all those appliances. But sometimes I don't have the time for all the rising, and then I make some no knead bread. It's nice to have the two options to choose from, and they both work well.

Thanks everyone, it was delicious!
I still make "regular" bread too, but Wife and I have grown partial to sourdough bread, and these rustic free form no-knead loaves are my favorite way of making it... so far.
If you want faster traditional bread, you can use your favorite recipe and skip a proof, just proof it in the pans to begin with and bake when it rises just above the rim of the pan. It won't be as good as if you had gone through the whole procedure, but it will be ok.

Back