Best face oil or butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thanks for responses, to save posting a new thread what is a good oil or blend for hair.

A couple months ago I asked this in regards to beard oil.

I think my blend ended up:
75% fractionated coconut
20% hazelnut
9% vitamin e
1% fragarance (but probably less)

I chose this blend because it's what I had on hand and it works wonders for my husband's pokey mustache.

Just like skin, there is no one oil that is best for hair. For a light weight oil, I like avocado or argan but what I really like, is my whipped body butter. Its mostly shea with a little coconut and olive oil. It super easy to overdo it and make the hair greasy, a teeny bit is plenty.

Coconut is hugely popular for hair but for some people, it can actually make hair dry and crunchy. If you are making hair oil to sell, I would skip the coconut oil completely. Avocado, almond, grapeseed, jojoba and argan are very popular on a hair forum I go to.

Do people notice is difference between using organic vs non organic, and cold pressed vs refined. As this is for face, we need extra care?

Do people notice is difference between using organic vs non organic, and cold pressed vs refined. As this is for face, we need extra care?

I personally aim for organic/cold-pressed materials when formulating for my face. I don't know why, maybe it's because my face is so close to my brain and Lord knows it doesn't need any more chemicals in there.

Almost 2 years ago I came across this blog post from Crunchy Betty. It inspired me to make my own face oil and I've been using it every day since, replacing the Oil of Olay I'd used for 20 years. The oils I chose are Argan, Rosehip seed, and a couple drops of Lavender EO. Every so often I think about changing it up but haven't (I'm a bit of a creature of habit).

http://crunchybetty.com/simple-home...rizer-customize-it-for-your-own-gorgeous-skin

The following link is one I refer to when wanting to know the comedogenic rating of an item (this helped me when deciding which oils to use, as acne used to be an issue prior to making my own stuff):

https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html

I tried the oil cleansing method years ago when I first went "natural" and used the "prescribed" castor oil to clean. It did not work for me. I broke out like crazy. I abandoned the method. I came back to natural when I started making soap and started learning about the different oils and their properties in soap and realized that maybe different oils would work for my face.

I currently use almond oil with myrrh EO to clean my face, sometimes I put a little baking soda with it to scrub. Then I use a hot washcloth to gently wipe off.

I use Emu oil with frankincense EO for around my eyes and the left over on my hands/face just gets worked in around the rest of my face.

Different things help different people. Experiment and see what you like.

Yes any other oils for use around the eyes, or even a mix. I have been using Castor oil which is apparently drying. I think castor oil is very drying and cleansing that's why you broke out.

There is just alot of conflicting information out there.

Last edited:
Today i bought some fractionated coconut oil to use on a face cream recipe... I am a little bit hesitated about the result, but i want to experiment...

I think jojoba is comedogenic, meaning it can clog pores. That said, I'm quite prone to acne and haven't seen any with my mixture. I didn't use much, I wish I knew the exact formula. It was a complete failure at first, so I remelted and added more Shea butter to make it thicker.

I could certainly be wrong myself, but I believe you are mistaken about jojoba. I'm pretty sure that it's deemed either noncomedogenic or at least low-comedogenic on most of the scales out there.

I'm acne prone, so I had to come up with something that wouldn't make me flare up. I know my face butter has at least this stuff in it- can't remember if there are a few other ingredients too...

Sal butter
Babassu oil
Macadamia nut oil
Jojoba oil

BernardMays, with all due respect it is a nonsense, I used oil once on my face and got in a lot of trouble for that. Face skin is always exposed so tend to dry out. Moisturiser, Moisturiser is the option for 99% of population. A lot of people come and get my creams, after using ie coconut oil on face which is famouse for causing breakouts and irritation. The best are the one who used just OO .

I used avocado, shea and coconut oils, the last one worked the best for me. I use it no more than once a week, after deep exfoliating mask. It is even harmful to use a pure oil every day, it dries skin much ( absorbing all the water from the surface ).

Does anyone have a good recipe for a cleansing balm. Like Organic Carrot butter cleanser, or clinique take the day off balm. Also some of the Shu Uemura oils. I think they use emulsifiers so in contact with water it dissolves oil.

I used avocado, shea and coconut oils, the last one worked the best for me. I use it no more than once a week, after deep exfoliating mask. It is even harmful to use a pure oil every day, it dries skin much ( absorbing all the water from the surface ).
Really?

I did not know this. Is butter ok?

It is even harmful to use a pure oil every day, it dries skin much ( absorbing all the water from the surface ).

I don't think this is true? Do you have a source? I've been using oils alongside my moisturizers for several years and it always gives me an extra boost of moisture and helps with my dry, flaky winter skin.

Back