Brioche in 5

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
So I made the Pane Bianco last weekend, and then got lost looking at artisan breads...so beautiful. But it was MySoapyHeart who let me astray with Vanilla Brioche, which eventually led me here... http://cmomcook.blogspot.com/2012/02/chocolate-swirl-brioche-buns.html and here http://www.hintofvanillablog.com/home/2015/10/chocolate-brioche-wreaths.html

Now brioche is something I've never attempted. I've made challah, and babka, but not brioche. So I started reading, and it seems that brioche is very tough to make without a standing mixer with a dough hook. But being stubborn, I kept looking. And then I came across this recipe... http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2008/09/24/brioche-dough-recipe-and-all-of-its-wonderful-uses It's made with the no knead technique, and I'm thinking this is my only alternative since I don't own a standing mixer. I'm still waiting for my FOs from Brambleberry to arrive, so I can't soap, and the weather is supposed to be crappy this weekend, soooooo I think I'm gonna put my big girl panties on and give some chocolate brioche a go. And I was just wondering if any of you out there may have tried this alternative brioche recipe and what you thought of it.

I haven't made it but I do have one of their bread books... the original "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes" and haven't had a single failure yet. Even a friend who said she can't bake bread even though she's tried many times swears by the ABin5 method. Go for it and post pictures.

I'll be baking a batch of white sourdough sandwich bread this weekend; I need to use up some of my starter and the weather has cooled down enough to bake bread. I've had my recipe (not the starter) since 1975 and this recipe has never failed me.

OK, the dough is made and resting on the counter before going into the fridge. The dough looks very wet, I hope that's how it's supposed to be. The chocolate filling is made, too. I used the easier chocolate recipe from the two blogs I listed. I'm hoping it's enough. I halved the brioche recipe, so hopefully it will be. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to bake it, so that if it turns out OK, I can bring my girlfriend and her husband some, because it's too much for me to be trusted with on my own! I'll post some pics tomorrow...wish me luck!

Misschief, a sandwich on some good homemade sourdough sounds wonderful!

Welllllllllll...I guess this is what happens when you jump ahead and try to do something fancy, before learning the basics. I'm thinking that this "brioche in 5" dough is probably good if you're looking for a basic brioche. It was still very sticky today, and because I was going for the layered technique, I think that all the handling that it required, might not have been a good match for this dough. The good news is that while it may not look at all like what I was aiming for...it's ridiculously scrumptious! It is rich and tender and smells more of melty chocolate than it tastes. Next time, I'll just leave the brioche plain, and spread it with a little Nutella if I feel like some chocolate. This recipe is definitely a keeper, messy though it was, it's oh so worth it when you pop that warm, buttery brioche in your mouth. Please, make some. You won't be sorry. I halved the recipe, and there was enough for 11 smallish muffins and one loaf.

Here's the pic as promised. I wish you could smell it!!!

brioche.jpg

Thanks guys! :grin: It's really embarrassingly easy. You just put the ingredients in a bowl and stir, leave it in the same bowl to proof, stick the bowl in the fridge overnight, turn the dough out the next morning and bake it. But you could always fling some flour in your hair and tell people you've been baking all day, I'm sure they'd believe you. I hope one of you will make it and let me know what you think!

Your 'Brioche in 5' is GREAT, navigator9! Thank you so much for posting!!!
Recipe made 2 loaf pans (6 balls in each) - very moist even a couple days later. Flavorful. Totally delightful - thank you.

(Some sticky doughs, like panettone, can also be 'kneaded in the bowl')

My sourdough starter didn't survive so I resorted to the Artisan bread in 5 minutes for dinner tonight. I love their recipes! So easy and almost idiot proof.

Do you have a link to a white sour dough bread recipe?
Or do you only use 100% rye?

I saw the other link but my DH doesn't like rye and we are looking for a no fail recipe for him to make at home.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! :grin: It's really embarrassingly easy. You just put the ingredients in a bowl and stir, leave it in the same bowl to proof, stick the bowl in the fridge overnight, turn the dough out the next morning and bake it. But you could always fling some flour in your hair and tell people you've been baking all day, I'm sure they'd believe you. I hope one of you will make it and let me know what you think!

Dabbing a little flour on my cheeks would serve me better. My hair would not be happy with flour in it.

OMG this post is making me want to make some bread soo badly! My mouth is watering!

Your 'Brioche in 5' is GREAT, navigator9! Thank you so much for posting!!!
Recipe made 2 loaf pans (6 balls in each) - very moist even a couple days later. Flavorful. Totally delightful - thank you.

(Some sticky doughs, like panettone, can also be 'kneaded in the bowl')

Ooooo...I'm so happy to hear that someone tried it! It really is that easy, isn't it? And not just easy, but delicious too. Next time I'm going to use it to make cinnamon buns. Mmmm, cinnamon buns! LOL

I can blame Navigator for the 2 big bowls of rising dough on my dinning table. I made a healthy multigrain bread and a not so healthy Badger cheese bread.
The no-knead breads (all the 5 minute breads) are always very high hydration to allow the gluten to develop without work. They don't work well for recipes that need a lot of manipulation to shape or breads that need a bit of structure. If you like the recipe enough, you can add 5 to 10% flour by weight and see if the outcome is still what you want. It worked for me with some recipes with just minimal kneading. Anyway, that brioche picture looked tempting enough to send me to the kitchen.

I can blame Navigator for the 2 big bowls of rising dough on my dinning table. I made a healthy multigrain bread and a not so healthy Badger cheese bread.

Oh I'm so happy to be an enabler when it comes to something as wonderful as homemade bread. Now lets get to this Badger cheese bread, with which I'm unfamiliar, not being from Badger country. What is this delicious sounding stuff, and where can I find a recipe?

Mmmmm....cinnamon buns....back to the kitchen!

Yes, and if you make them before me, please let me know how they come out!!!

Oh I'm so happy to be an enabler when it comes to something as wonderful as homemade bread. Now lets get to this Badger cheese bread, with which I'm unfamiliar, not being from Badger country. What is this delicious sounding stuff, and where can I find a recipe?

The recipe was on Cook's Country on PBS last week. Here's it is:https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/8586-spicy-cheese-bread.
The dough is enriched with eggs and butter similar to challah. Your post made me decide to try it. I used less cheese than they did which was a mistake. The dough can handle it. I also reduced the sugar and spread the dough with a spice mix before adding the cheese. Thank you for the inspiration! It was easy to make, yummy and definitely worth repeating with more cheese next time.

Badger Bread.jpg

Badger Bread Cut.jpg

Penelope, the recipe I use is from a Fleischmann's yeast booklet I received in 1975 (and, yes, I still have it). I posted the recipe on my recipe blog. Here's the link:

https://sites.google.com/site/evsrecipes/home/sourdough-bread

Thanks for that, Misschief!

The recipe was on Cook's Country on PBS last week. Here's it is:https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/8586-spicy-cheese-bread.
The dough is enriched with eggs and butter similar to challah. Your post made me decide to try it. I used less cheese than they did which was a mistake. The dough can handle it. I also reduced the sugar and spread the dough with a spice mix before adding the cheese. Thank you for the inspiration! It was easy to make, yummy and definitely worth repeating with more cheese next time.

Wow, yours looks amazing! And it sounds delicious, too. I'm going to make it the next time I have someone over for lunch or dinner, because if I don't wait, I'll eat the whole thing myself. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back